BBC Country Side

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
There's an article on BBC Country File from 'Powys Castle', both the presenter (Matt Baker) and bee keeper got stung on their heads, not a good advert for keeping bees in public places. Or at least introduce a docile strain. Thoughts?

Last edited:
even docile bees can have a bad day.

I bet the public will get stung in the pocket every time they buy the honey.

Oh I don't know!

First of all, it was very funny.
Secondly, it showed a certain nonchalance about bee stings, in a culture which is terrified of everything! To see people being stung, and not falling on the floor, writhing around and expiring dramatically, but just getting on with it, is a refreshing corrective.

I was more horrified to see them dipping their fingers in the (unfiltered) but supposedly 'clear' honey, and licking it. I'd hate the public to think that's how beekeepers care about hygiene.

Dusty

Oh I don't know!

First of all, it was very funny.
Secondly, it showed a certain nonchalance about bee stings, in a culture which is terrified of everything! To see people being stung, and not falling on the floor, writhing around and expiring dramatically, but just getting on with it, is a refreshing corrective.

I was more horrified to see them dipping their fingers in the (unfiltered) but supposedly 'clear' honey, and licking it. I'd hate the public to think that's how beekeepers care about hygiene.

Dusty

the whole thing made me snigger a bit, the extractor rattling round as they spun the honey out. I think they will need more than a 2 frame hand tang spinner for the number of hives in the background, they will be there forever if they actually do it like that.

was about 20mins into the program

That's just when onlookers get stung. The beekeeper looks at the colonies and walks away bringing the bees with him. :)
Quite refreshing to see the presenter not that bothered though.

I agree, came over well. Obviously the extractor bit was a bit twee just to show the basics of how it is done but at least it showed the mechanics. I feel sure he has better equipment in his extracting room! At least with the tasting they didn't double dip!
Well done to all I say!
E

The beekeeper featured has just had his honey stocked by Tesco at £5.95 per 340g. The brand is Hilltop Honey, only started out in 2011, not clear from the website how much of his British honey is produced by him personally and how much is bought from others.

I agree, came over well. Obviously the extractor bit was a bit twee just to show the basics of how it is done but at least it showed the mechanics. I feel sure he has better equipment in his extracting room! At least with the tasting they didn't double dip!
Well done to all I say!
E

It is all THEATER!

Now must go and put me smock on and me white wellie boots... find a nice bit of straw to chew... lean over the Farm gate and sell some more Gorgeous Local Cornish Honey to the Grokkles!!!

Yeghes da

The beekeeper featured has just had his honey stocked by Tesco at £5.95 per 340g. The brand is Hilltop Honey, only started out in 2011, not clear from the website how much of his British honey is produced by him personally and how much is bought from others.

Most of his honey is imported from Poland, before anyone asks - I got that information from him at the Royal Welsh

Most of his honey is imported from Poland, before anyone asks - I got that information from him at the Royal Welsh

Hopefully not the stuff labelled as British
CNKFsc1WwAA5bd_.jpg

That would be a bl**dy big loophole. Surely not. Must be talking about something else? :hairpull::hairpull:

they have a wide range of honey including 'organic' and forest - all sourced in Poland - wasn't very impressed with some of the stuff on offer - in squeezy bottles and already beginning to crystalise. looks like the stuff in Tesco probably imported from over the border - he's based in Newtown so only a short drive to England and the mazola honey fields :D

it can leagally say made in the uk if say the honey was set when purchased and then made runny or the other way round as it has gone through some processing in the uk.

the law is that vague. lots of meats labelled as british or madein the uk can be traced back to other countries in the eu it is just they have been processed/ final packaging has been done here.

That's just when onlookers get stung. The beekeeper looks at the colonies and walks away bringing the bees with him. :)
Quite refreshing to see the presenter not that bothered though.

The cynic in me wonders if the sting was real or a bit of theatre? Still hilarious though :icon_204-2:

Also noticed that he has a "nutrition" panel. Is that his choice or a Tesco requirement? My reading of the Food Information Regulations (as in REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011) is that Annex V excludes honey from nutrition labels as "1. Unprocessed products that comprise a single ingredient or category of ingredients".

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32011R1169&from=en

Latest posts

Back