Basic introduction wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebbieMartin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello
Sorry for reposting - just hoping as many as possible can see this as we really are keen -
My son (11) is home educated and very interested in rural pursuits / land management etc. We would both like to start bee keeping. We have just under an acre of rural land but to be hones havnt got a clue what to do first and having had a read of some books and a good search on the internet has only left us more confused. We would love to be able to visit an established bee keeper just to have a look and a chat about first steps. We already keep ducks, chickens and goats so understand about the responsibility of keeping living things. Are there any friendly, enthusiastic beekeepers in Staffs/ North Staffs/Shrops who would be willing to let us come over and meet them. At some point we will do a bee keeping day but for now just wanted something a bit less formal to see if its the right thing for us. Thanks in advance

I'm glad you are using a thoughtful realistic approach to bee keeping :)
Too many rush into the craft , spend loads of dosh only to rush out of beekeeping having developed an 'allergy'
My advice to newbies is always find your nearest beekeeping society, get on a course ,then find a member to mentor you !
I also advise that you work with a beekeeper for a full season before buying any bees ! This way you will discover whether you and bees are compatible and you will grasp the size of the commitment! It is so easy to get carried away with enthusiasm !
Lecture over :D
Welcome to the forum and I hope you eventually have your bees and enjoy rather than just about tolerate them as is often the case :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back