Balsam off the menu

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balsam out along the canal but not seen ghost bees.

Seen some on globe artichokes though almost glowing with the pollen.

I planted some of those on the veg patch and in the garden...Still only a few inches tall:(

Mine were planted last year but have suffered a bit with the lack of rain so I've not picked the last couple to appear. I will be splitting off the offshoots and having some in my front garden I think!

Balsam yes indeed

So I posted yesterday that mine are not on it either despite it being virtually outside my back door.....However I was wrong. This morning I had to be up early and at 6 am 2 of my hives were heavy on the Balsam. They seem to ease off it later on and let the bumbles have it but first thing even tho not particularly warm the little ghosts were very busy. So all you wondering, get up in the morning and take a look.....

Balsam yes indeedy

So I reckon I ve pieced this together from all your posts.They're on the Balsam early when your all still asleep but when the day warms up something else is luring them. So wait a couple of weeks and they'll be on it full time.

Betcha

Mine were planted last year but have suffered a bit with the lack of rain so I've not picked the last couple to appear. I will be splitting off the offshoots and having some in my front garden I think!

If you have young globe artichoke plants then you should probably have cut the head off as soon as it started to form to make the young plant stronger.

Latest posts

Back