Balsam off the menu

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboy55

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Every year I watch for the first bee with the tell tale sign that she has been to the Balsam. Then in a few weeks see that the majority of bees are showing the Balsam mark. This year the first was at least 3 weeks ago. So far no bees seem to be bothering with Balsam. At first I thought it was because it was too dry. Now I think it maybe because there is still alternative forage options. Any one seeing the same thing? Any ideas why?

Not with me either even though I have seen balsam in bloom and they are bringing in cream coloured pollen.
One lot have filled a super in four days.

Not with me either even though I have seen balsam in bloom and they are bringing in cream coloured pollen.
One lot have filled a super in four days.

Wow thats impressive. Don’t think they will thank you for letting that out of the bag you will have us all moving to Wales :hurray:

They were bringing in a bit a week ago but that has stopped, I checked a patch of balsam and there was only bumbles on it !

same here, have a small patch of it and was waiting to see the ladies but only bumbles seem to be interested, indeed they will have cleaned up before the honeys get their act together.

Every year I watch for the first bee with the tell tale sign that she has been to the Balsam. Then in a few weeks see that the majority of bees are showing the Balsam mark. This year the first was at least 3 weeks ago. So far no bees seem to be bothering with Balsam. At first I thought it was because it was too dry. Now I think it maybe because there is still alternative forage options. Any one seeing the same thing? Any ideas why?

My 6 hives have been very quiet for the last two weeks. No balsam around here. Only activity is on c. 12 borage plants on my nearby allotment- -smothered in honey bees and some bumbles.

Lots of balsam here but bees not touching it. Bringing in loads of yellow, grey and orange pollen...

Also seeing lots of fawn coloured pollen coming in but none of the bearers have the Balsam stamp on their backs. Watching the bumbles going in and out of the Balsam and they clearly have the mark. What has changed? I always thought that Balsam was the first choice for bees but it seems not this year.

I have actually seen bees go into a balsam flower upside down.
Could this be the answer?
Unlikely. If this is the reason for the lack of the mark then why have they all decided to go in upside down this year for the first time.

It seems clear from the responses that they are ignoring the Balsam this year but no reason why given as yet.

Same thing here in Manchester,we have tons of balsam in full flower side by side with rosebay willowherb,bees all over the willowherb,but not touching the balsam,Maybe when the willowherb finishes in the next week or so they'll swithch their attention to the balsam.bee-smillie

They were bringing in a bit a week ago but that has stopped, I checked a patch of balsam and there was only bumbles on it !

I had the same here. One hive were coming back like ghosts and then after a few days it just stopped. I wondered if the water board had been doing a clearing up operation and destroyed it. (Listen to me, Water Board) that's showing my age!
Andy

I m surrounded by Balsam and they re not touching it. I have noticed in the past that they seem to find it later than the bumbles. so this is interesting lets wait and see.

I had the same here. One hive were coming back like ghosts and then after a few days it just stopped. I wondered if the water board had been doing a clearing up operation and destroyed it. (Listen to me, Water Board) that's showing my age!
Andy
I thought that too but on inspection the balsam is still there. I remember the water board and my dad worked for the Electricity board.

Latest posts

Back