Bait hive- Robbing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystil

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello Guys
Got a bait hive set up and saw a number of bees yesturday going into the hive also had a phone call to say there was a swarm of bees about.

Waited and not much happened (bees still coming in and out of hive).

So waited till it got abit darker and opened up the hive and the blasted bees have started to raid the wax off the three frames we have in the hive and obviously seem to be going to another persons hive! Lol.

Should we take the frames out and keep them away so the bees cannot "steal" the wax? or leave them because the bees now know there is a hive there?

Cheers

Hello Guys
Got a bait hive set up and saw a number of bees yesturday going into the hive also had a phone call to say there was a swarm of bees about.

So waited till it got abit darker and opened up the hive and the blasted bees have started to raid the wax off the three frames we have in the hive and obviously seem to be going to another persons hive! Lol.

Should we take the frames out and keep them away so the bees cannot "steal" the wax? or leave them because the bees now know there is a hive there?

Cheers

What is so unfair about that then ?
are you not trying to steal someones bees ?????

Im sorry?!?!

Whats your problem? Getting attacked by you is NOT why I joined.

Im not worried about the bees re-using the wax. I just wanted abit of advice.

Thanks for YOUR KIND WORDS.

And on another note, it was nice to see the bees going in and out of the hive that we could get really close to. They were so laden they had trouble flying which we had a nice giggle over! :mad:)

Last edited:
Im sorry?!?!

Whats your problem? Getting attacked by you is NOT why I joined.

Im not worried about the bees re-using the wax. I just wanted abit of advice.

Thanks for YOUR KIND WORDS.

And on another note, it was nice to see the bees going in and out of the hive that we could get really close to. They were so laden they had trouble flying which we had a nice giggle over! :mad:)

Must be some hives quite near to you bait hives.... have you checked.. or deliberately placed them close to another's apiary?

I would never place a bait hive near to another Beeks apiary for the fear of pissing he or she off!

My Grandads super bait sausage gave of a pheremone that surpressed the robbing instinct of worker bees

I wonder if the robbing instinct exists in all bee colonies?
I have noticed that the gentle NZs do not seem to rob, but the Greeks (feisty little "B"s) did.
Perhaps this is a trait carried on the bite,sting and fight gene?
In which case I would not wish to have such bees as guests in my back garden!!

By the way I am a pacifist and have never attacked anyone unless they deserved it!

Must be some hives quite near to you bait hives.... have you checked.. or deliberately placed them close to another's apiary?

I would never place a bait hive near to another Beeks apiary for the fear of pissing he or she off!

My Grandads super bait sausage gave of a pheremone that surpressed the robbing instinct of worker bees

I wonder if the robbing instinct exists in all bee colonies?
I have noticed that the gentle NZs do not seem to rob, but the Greeks (feisty little "B"s) did.
Perhaps this is a trait carried on the bite,sting and fight gene?
In which case I would not wish to have such bees as guests in my back garden!!

By the way I am a pacifist and have never attacked anyone unless they deserved it!
NZs have a reputation for silent robbing .Sneaky so snd so's

JW

If there is a trace of honey in the frames you put in the bait hive, bees will visit and rob it. If they uncap you'll get a sprinkling of wax. Do you think it is that?

Bees do not rob wax.

Once bees swarm they are free to finder.

Chill out.

PH

Hello Guys

Cheers

Leave the frames in the hive, and keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you get a swarm.

As for the stealing someone else's bees comment, its utter tosh, if a bee keeper allows his/her colonies swarm and you collect them in your bait hive then good for you.

What is so unfair about that then ?
are you not trying to steal someones bees ?????

Entice perhaps.......

Thank you guys.

Thanks for the info about the wax aswell (newbee here). That answers that question, they are after any left over honey on the frames.

icanhopit - have to had problems yourselves before? because you are very quick to judge me without all the facts. Im not going to give you an answer to your other question as I find it offensive.

We do this hobby for the enjoyment.

Im going to enjoy my visiting bees for as long as they come.bee-smillie

Last edited:
Thank you guys.

Thanks for the info about the wax aswell (newbee here). That answers that question, they are after any left over honey on the frames.

icanhopit - have to had problems yourselves before? because you are very quick to judge me without all the facts. Im not going to give you an answer to your other question as I find it offensive.

We do this hobby for the enjoyment.

Im going to enjoy my visiting bees for as long as they come.bee-smillie

Mysil or whatever you handle is... wind your neck in !

A bit of Beekie ettiquete would bee nice...
Must admit that I have never experienced a beekeeper placing bait hives near to my apiary to entice the bees away.

However a rumour that just such a thing did happen not so far from Somerset and involved a runaway stolen tractor and a number of squashed hives.. the police never did get to the bottom of it.

Just to set the record straight.
I am not trying to steal anyones bees just catch any stray swarms that may be in the area.

I have not stolen a tractor or run away with it.
We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I will bee nice if you'll bee nice.

Just to set the record straight.
I am not trying to steal anyones bees just catch any stray swarms that may be in the area.

I have not stolen a tractor or run away with it.
We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I will bee nice if you'll bee nice.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Its ADMINS???? job to keep you young whippersnappers in place ... not mine !!

Not the nicest of threads to read.
I have a full inbox from members reporting this thread..

Bee's certainly do remove wax...i left a frame of foundation with a few holes in it on a hive roof a few weeks back, and each time i visited that apairy there were a group of bee's removing or doing something with this wax,i left it there, and now they have removed the lot....no idea what they did with it.

Mysil or whatever you handle is... wind your neck in !

A bit of Beekie ettiquete would bee nice...
Must admit that I have never experienced a beekeeper placing bait hives near to my apiary to entice the bees away.

However a rumour that just such a thing did happen not so far from Somerset and involved a runaway stolen tractor and a number of squashed hives.. the police never did get to the bottom of it.

How to make friends and influence people! Would this be interpreted as a threat/harassment etc etc:rolleyes:;):chillpill::chillpill:

Not the nicest of threads to read.
I have a full inbox from members reporting this thread..

I hope I havent caused any offense. It seems to me that I have upset this person for some strange reason, this was not my intention at all and I dont know what I did to get that kind of responce.

Mystil,

icanhopit seems to have a wasp up his ar*e tonight. Ignore it.

Back