bait hive no brood yet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrandan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
hello, I have recently had a bit of luck with a bait hive. a swarm has taken up residence arriving 2 weeks ago. I performed an inspection today and the ladies are busy and numerous. I didn't see the queen and neither could I see any stage of brood. is this something to worry about and if it is please could I have advice. cheers

Had a bit of an eventful afternoon. Murry won Wimbledon, but the bees swarmed in a tree, so was torn between the match and having a look.

All well in the end. We put up a bait box and they've found it. The old hive seems normal so what's going on?

Would there have been a new queen in the bait box - 'mother' hive inspection carried out a few days ago, and although there were a few queen cells, I don't think they had larvae. I've notified the owner but he's out so guess I ought to leave well alone until he comes to have a look (we provide the garden, he provides the bees).

If there's anything I should do please advise.

Had a bit of an eventful afternoon. Murry won Wimbledon, but the bees swarmed in a tree, so was torn between the match and having a look.

All well in the end. We put up a bait box and they've found it. The old hive seems normal so what's going on?

Would there have been a new queen in the bait box - 'mother' hive inspection carried out a few days ago, and although there were a few queen cells, I don't think they had larvae. I've notified the owner but he's out so guess I ought to leave well alone until he comes to have a look (we provide the garden, he provides the bees).

If there's anything I should do please advise.

The old hive returns to normal in a few minutes. The swarm has the OLD queen with it. The old hive produces a new one. Well done for the bait hive.....that was lucky! The owner owes you one!
E

I performed an inspection today and the ladies are busy and numerous. I didn't see the queen

Here's hoping you didn't go interfering with the colony while she was on a mating flight.

Two weeks ago it looked like three nucs housing caught caste swarms and they did not have any brood even though they were caught a few weeks before. Patience paid off as all doing well when inspected today.

I was going to inspect a hive I did an AS a few weeks ago but changed my mind as there was a mass drone eviction taking place. I am assuming queen now mated and drone surplus to requirements. Decided to leave them be and will inspect in a week or so.

I am assuming queen now mated and drone surplus to requirements.

Err, no. More likely a dearth is on its way - or has already arrived.

Latest posts

Back