Bait Hive Loungers...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two ‘bait’ hives set, and both have and have had, a knot of bees (50+) sitting in the entrance(s) for some weeks. Occasional bursts of flying/measuring and evening time all gone back from whence they came. Despite the occasional frenzy all very relaxed. My notion is that they are from hive(s) considering swarming – some have been on cusp of same. However, I anticipate a more rushed approach from swarm scouts as they compete for attention to their selection of a new home. Perhaps a summer house to ‘chill out’ in. Any idea as to what’s afoot?

Could be a succession of scouts from different hives that in the meantime get sorted by their keepers.

Could be a succession of scouts from different hives that in the meantime get sorted by their keepers.

I agree,My bait hive on the shed roof has had loads of bees some times and I'm pretty sure it is just before someone else inspects as they all disappear for a few more weeks.Took a wasp nest out of one of my bait hives this week it had been built into the middle of a frame of drawn comb I was quite surprised as the bees were still checking the hive out.

I get plenty of interest in mine, usually for the first 5 to 7 days after baiting with Lemongrass. They seem to gather where the Lemongrass has been smeared, and look as if they are licking it off. You get 20 to 30 per hive, just hanging around.

However, the only swarms caught this year have been in hives with no Lemongrass.

Amongst other spare stuff, had a spare Nuc with drawn comb, no food, just stored at the side of my house...
Saw a few bees in and out....told them, naff off, no food there... then realised my mistake when 2 hours later a prime swarm arrived..
Had to quickly put a brood box in the same place and transfer those frames over. Someone lost a prime swarm, as my colonies still queenright, no Q cells and busy. Lucky day.

I have found that bees from Q- hives will often prefer (even synthetic, lemongrass and geranium) queen pheromone in a bait hive to none at home.

On a point of order in the above discussion, scout bees come from swarms not hives I believe. Am I wrong?

So with the small swarm I got in a bait hive a couple of months back I thought it was still just scouts, maybe 4-5 bees hanging around the entrance at any one time, going in and out. After 3 days I popped out after dark with a torch and was quite surprised to find they'd actually moved in with a few girls staring at me from the entrance.
As I was full covid working from home mode I'm quite surprised and disappointed I didn't notice them arrive. So I'd check to see if they have moved in sneakily.

Two ‘bait’ hives set, and both have and have had, a knot of bees (50+) sitting in the entrance(s) for some weeks. Occasional bursts of flying/measuring and evening time all gone back from whence they came. Despite the occasional frenzy all very relaxed. My notion is that they are from hive(s) considering swarming – some have been on cusp of same. However, I anticipate a more rushed approach from swarm scouts as they compete for attention to their selection of a new home. Perhaps a summer house to ‘chill out’ in. Any idea as to what’s afoot?
I often find fights breaking out amongst the bees at the entrance for who want to stake their claim. Loiterers seem to be staking their claim. Tends to be busy straight away after baiting with lemongrass then goes quiet for a while then a swarm will suddenly move in.

I often find fights breaking out amongst the bees at the entrance for who want to stake their claim. Loiterers seem to be staking their claim. Tends to be busy straight away after baiting with lemongrass then goes quiet for a while then a swarm will suddenly move in.

Latest posts

Back