Bait box odd behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There were about a dozen bees just sat at the entrance. By the time I got the camera some had gone. Non are attempting to go inside, they are just feeling each other.

Some bees come then go but do not go inside.

Is this scout bees?

100_4126.jpg

The photo shows one bee inside but it was just inside but feeling the other bee.

Ps, 10 mins later, now they are all gone?

They pay attention and then vanish.

When the numbers steadily increase and it gets busier it is looking very good. then they vanish and you are left thinking hmm thats that, then the sky turns black and they arrive. :)

Except for me this year they ain't!

PH (who is exercising patience...)

they're just like human house hunters.

first a few waves of "time wasters"

then a visit with agent.

then visit with family.

then visit to measure for curtains.

then they move in.

obviously at any point they may withdraw interest.

Think about it. If they (the scouts - and there will be at least several initially) check out an area of, say 3km (likely more) that is 28 square klilometers. One initial scout may (if a promising site) refer that location to other scouts, who will also check it out.

This process will continue until there is a consensus (well at least a majority decision) of the scouts and by then they will be ready for the 'off' from their intial swarm 'holding' point. So you have one option for them in 20+ square kilometres. If it is the best option you will get the swarm.

Most swarms (90%?) go less than either a kilometer (or maybe a mile?). The information is on the net somewhere.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are guarding the location?

I had a bait hive last year that had a good bit of interest over a few days then fighting at the entrance with obvious guard bees similar to a normal hive. I think one lot of scout bees were defending the hive over another lot. This hive had nothing inside that could be robbed.

The swarm finally arrived on the sixth day.

That is a distinct possibility. Two swarms arriving at around the same time could result in a bit of upset! I have never read or heard of that occurrence.

If you have time, watch the video on YouTube from Tom Seeley about Honey Bee Democracy. He gives a really nice walk through the process of a hive finding a new location but I don't think he talks about the possibility of the same location being chosen by two swarms.

► 36:45► 36:45 www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSbPkInTzs

4 bait hives in the garden and a swarm arrives ... and decides it likes the apple tree best lol :willy_nilly:

Whoops nope ! They decided they liked a branch of the apple tree better than the bait hives ! Now all safely tucked up in a 14 x 12 poly nuke :)

Perhaps they are guarding the location?

I had a bait hive last year that had a good bit of interest over a few days then fighting at the entrance with obvious guard bees similar to a normal hive. I think one lot of scout bees were defending the hive over another lot. This hive had nothing inside that could be robbed.

The swarm finally arrived on the sixth day.

That's interesting - I've just seen the exact same thing with my 'bottom of the garden' bait box.

The weather has been unbelievably wet - but during the last dry spell I had a dozen or so looking interested, then that number increased to at least 50, plenty of measuring-up and so forth, and then the heavens really opened-up and a dozen got trapped here and were forced to 'bed-and-breakfast' for a few days until the storm passed - so I gave 'em a spoonful of 1:1, as they were looking very miserable and dejected.

Today the sun finally came out, and a good 150 or so were buzzing around the bait box - 'frantic' is the only word to describe their behaviour - several of them got involved in wrestling matches on the landing board, others seemed to be trying to mate with other workers. Mass confusion reigned (at least, in my mind). And then they all left.

I figured it might either be aspirational robbers attracted by the lemon grass oil and propolis, or maybe two lots of scouts in a real estate contest. Just in case it's the latter, I've put another bait box out, about 15 feet away.

Just have to wait and see.
LJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back