Badgers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to move on to the original discussion of "as beekeepers have you had issues with badgers" and away from the slagging match that is currently going on.

Thats what adds to the diversity of the forum,topics that wander of in different directions.....even if there are some heated points of view on some sujects.

- the ONLY way to ensure killing badgers is successful in preventing TB spread is to completely wipe them out - all the trials have shown that culls actually tend to spread the disease wider

This dones'nt read great but anyway,

How on earth does the TB spread when the trials of cull tend to spread disease wider...??

Can you explain this as I would like to cull all badgers, ooo when the law changes !!

Busy Bee

Support the Badger Cull Campaign:sifone:

the ONLY way to ensure killing badgers is successful in preventing TB spread is to completely wipe them out

I would have to disagree with you there, you auld bunny hugger :D

Surley we could leave a breeding pair in Ireland??? What what old chap, tally ho and all that...

How on earth does the TB spread when the trials of cull tend to spread disease wider...??

Can you explain this as I would like to cull all badgers, ooo when the law changes !!

Busy Bee

I know that in england they only have TB tests done in cattle herds every other year(Unless there is confirmed TB in the area) Some places its only every 5 years. I think this might have something to do with it. In northern ireland we have annual herd tests irregardless or wether there is confirmed TB. And we still have TB. The test its self is not 100% accurate either. I've known of people that have had maybe 6/7 cattle that have a positive reaction to the skin test(basically the same as the 6 prick test done at school) and the cattle have been slaughtered and nothing found. Also i have seen herds get a 100% clear result at the herd test and have cattle turn up at an abbatoir a month later that have TB leasions in the carcass.

Last edited:
My bottomless hive was destroyed by hungry badgers in March. That does not make me anti-badger, it just means that in future I will take better measures to protect my bees.

I suspect that prone-ness to TB in cattle is more to do with the way they are fed these days than badgers. I'm sure I read an article by an organic farmer who had no more problems with TB once his cattle were feeding on clover and mixed meadow grasses.

Busy Bee

There is a good explanation on why the cull will not work here : www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/.../pdf/policy-and.../badger-policy-091119.pdf

The Krebs report was written by scientists not politicians or farmers.

Slightly off and on topic but one of our guests woke up circa 2am to a badger calling in our back garden and got up to confirm it visually. Said brock obliged.

PH

Slightly off and on topic but one of our guests woke up circa 2am to a badger calling in our back garden and got up to confirm it visually. Said brock obliged.

PH

They make a disgusting noise, bit like me after a few drinks and a curry!

My bottomless hive was destroyed by hungry badgers in March. That does not make me anti-badger, it just means that in future I will take better measures to protect my bees.

I suspect that prone-ness to TB in cattle is more to do with the way they are fed these days than badgers. I'm sure I read an article by an organic farmer who had no more problems with TB once his cattle were feeding on clover and mixed meadow grasses.

I would say that would be a BIG coincidence!!! I dont think feeding has anything to do with it, or could!!!

Treating hives or hive stands in creosote will help prevent damage.The strong man made sent is to much for the badger to bear.[/QUOTE]

If you treat the hives with creosote it's likely to be too much for the bees to bear, not to mention the volatiles wiping them out. Treating the stand should be fine (but not the landing board), and will hopefully put out the right smell at badger height.

They definitely don't like the smell of electric fences though :)

Latest posts

Back