Badgers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I knew there was a set not so far away but in 6 years on site not a problem at all. The last three days a stack of brood boxes has been toppled. I thought they has slipped but today there are empty combs on the other side of the fence so obviously moved and eaten. I suspect the dry conditions are driving this behaviour. Suggestions for protective /preventitive measures please?

PH

I knew there was a set not so far away but in 6 years on site not a problem at all. The last three days a stack of brood boxes has been toppled. I thought they has slipped but today there are empty combs on the other side of the fence so obviously moved and eaten. I suspect the dry conditions are driving this behaviour. Suggestions for protective /preventitive measures please?

PH
Electric fence Is the only way I’ve successfully stopped Mr Badger!
They have plagued our garden for years, stripping plums from the smaller tress, and smashing their way through the fruit cage every year to destroy the Raspberry crop!
I’ve had scratch marks on the hives, and one slightly moved, but luckily never knocked over!
Through the summer months when they are most active, a single strand of wire placed 8” off the ground around the hives is enough to keep them at bay.

Also worth using small ratchet straps around your hives if Mr Badger is about,
At least it’ll keep things together if he gets heavy handed.

Electric fences are normally not sufficient to halt a determined badger as their fur is dense enough that they won’t know a net is there. A single wire however penetrates the fur and gives them a sting.
I had trouble with badgers about 5years ago, they toppled brood boxes to eat the grubs, they do learn and haven’t bothered the hives since, fingers crossed

I have a badger that regularly visits my garden it's never bothered with the beehives it's more interested in the bird feed and peanuts dropped by the birds from the bird feeder which are less than 2 meters from the beehives

Latest posts

Back