Backfilled and chock a block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monarda

House Bee
Reaction score
I have 2 supers , 1 in process of being capped, t'other about 1/2 full of nectar above a queen excluder, beneath which there is my brood and a half boxes , both wall to wall, chock a block with nectar.Having done an AS and the new queen should be mated and laying about now, am I worrying unnecessary about the lack of space for the new queen to lay in and that the bees will sort out the arrangements, or should I add a super of drawn comb beneath brood box to give her a bit more room or indeed place it above queen excluder so that nectar can be moved up. I know I probably shouldn't have peeked in so soon but I did and now I'm fretting and in need of your generous input.
Many thanks
Dave

And as you're at it, as the 'half' of the brood and a half is full of stores, put that above the QX too (above the new empty one) then when your new queen is up and running consider going double brood.

And as you're at it, as the 'half' of the brood and a half is full of stores, put that above the QX too (above the new empty one) then when your new queen is up and running consider going double brood.
yep that all makes sense, I know you're not a fan of brood and a half but I find it a hard habit to break but am working on it!Should I be concerned that by placing the "half" above the QX I might be inadvertently moving the new queen up there too?

Latest posts

Back