Avon 'Skin so Soft' and Horses.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldsend

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Used by many horse owners to keep flys away from their horses

Yep always used it especially at summer shows. And both myself and the horses smel lovely to boot!

We always washed ours the night before with Silvikrin shampoo then wiped them down in the morning using a soft cloth and plenty of baby oil. Even my father who worked on the buildings had soft and smooth hands by the end of the summer :D

We always washed ours the night before with Silvikrin shampoo then wiped them down in the morning using a soft cloth and plenty of baby oil. Even my father who worked on the buildings had soft and smooth hands by the end of the summer :D

When we had the fell ponies we used Mr Sheen! Just a tip, don't put it near the saddle patch. That was embarrasing!!!

My horse is a grey.....Spanish stallion...16.1hh. He has his own hot water shower....too cruel in the winter to use cold water and boiling the kettle takes an age. I can tell you..that is a lot of white to keep clean! Luckily he inherited the silver gene so the hair doesn't stain easily and a quick wipe with a soapy sponge cleans him up quickly.
When he came to the UK he hated the flies and we had to cover him up but gradually he has acclimatised. We use neem oil as a fly repellent...not the best smell in the world but does the job really well. Also really good for cuts, grazes, mud fever, rain scald and lice.
I've never used the Avon product...although I have heard about it.....I will have to give it a try.....must smell nicer than the neem oil..especially at a show.

My horse is a grey.....Spanish stallion...16.1hh. He has his own hot water shower....too cruel in the winter to use cold water and boiling the kettle takes an age. I can tell you..that is a lot of white to keep clean! Luckily he inherited the silver gene so the hair doesn't stain easily and a quick wipe with a soapy sponge cleans him up quickly.
When he came to the UK he hated the flies and we had to cover him up but gradually he has acclimatised. We use neem oil as a fly repellent...not the best smell in the world but does the job really well. Also really good for cuts, grazes, mud fever, rain scald and lice.
I've never used the Avon product...although I have heard about it.....I will have to give it a try.....must smell nicer than the neem oil..especially at a show.

The horse I recently losy was a grey. Always used blue rinse on her tail before events it was the only thing that would get the wee stains out of it!

Sorry to hear you lost your mare. That's always a problem with mares. Tomato ketchup works really well. Wet the tail...use plenty of ketchup and rub in well. Leave for a while then rinse and shampoo as normal...and use a conditioner. I usually bag the tail once properly dry. Otherwise you can be sure of a huge stable stain where they sat in a dropping!
I have a lusotano mare...a rescue. Turned out she was in foal...he was a lovely Colt...and black as night. He has gone to his new owner now. My mare is recovering and having some Dr Green. Unfortunately the foal ate her tail....it is growing and almost down to her hocks...so no trouble keeping it clean ATM. Whilst my big chap is recovering from his operation...I am bringing her under saddle. We started with lunging today...she didn't go a lot on it! She is slowly learning we aren't going to harm her. Sweet character.

Seems as we are onto horses which i hate with a passion , there is a big daft thoroughbred that tries to kill dogs near a bridle way where i walk the dog it can jump and the lecky fence is not switched on, i can see it ending in tears and plenty of dog food.

Last edited:
Me too, frightened sh!t!es of the beasts, once kicked twice shy and they smell, riding stables seems a strange place for me to keep my bees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, frightened sh!t!es of the beasts, once kicked twice shy and they smell, riding stables seems a strange place for me to keep my bees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not frightened of them i just like the taste of them, a 1 wood golf club comes in handy, you can use it for a walking stick or you can deter a fowl animal with it. ;)

Sometimes bad experiences can shape your feelings about an animal. Horses are...in general...gentle animals. They read our body language very well. I have had horses..many horses all my life. I have never been kicked. I've been bitten by a horse which had been systematically bullied...whilst I was rehabilitating him. We still have him. He has never done it since. He has learnt humans can be trusted not to hurt or frighten him....although he is cautious around strangers. The mare I rescued...is fearful of nearly everything but each thing she learns is in fact ok...she gains more confidence. She was like a zombie when she arrived but now we can see her lovely nature. Building trust is a serious thing...one wrong step and you may never have that trust again.
I suppose for those people who harbour fears of horses...remember that the horse is a herd animal and its first reaction is to flee from danger....just give it the space to do so. Dogs are not naturally the best mate of horses since they are predators. Some horses don't get the chance to learn differently and some dog owners don't always help the situation.

Sometimes bad experiences can shape your feelings about an animal. Horses are...in general...gentle animals. They read our body language very well. I have had horses..many horses all my life. I have never been kicked. I've been bitten by a horse which had been systematically bullied...whilst I was rehabilitating him. We still have him. He has never done it since. He has learnt humans can be trusted not to hurt or frighten him....although he is cautious around strangers. The mare I rescued...is fearful of nearly everything but each thing she learns is in fact ok...she gains more confidence. She was like a zombie when she arrived but now we can see her lovely nature. Building trust is a serious thing...one wrong step and you may never have that trust again.
I suppose for those people who harbour fears of horses...remember that the horse is a herd animal and its first reaction is to flee from danger....just give it the space to do so. Dogs are not naturally the best mate of horses since they are predators. Some horses don't get the chance to learn differently and some dog owners don't always help the situation.

I feel like we could be best friends immediately! My friend/acquaintance (wow that takes some concentration) acquired an arab stallion. He was very head shy she told me.

She left me with him (Percy) and when she returned I was shampooing his poll.

I think you either have it or you don't with horses.

NB he was loose in his box at the time

I don't have a horse, but would Skin so soft keep flies and midges away from me when I'm sitting around in the summer evenings?

We have a farm nearby where they use old tyres on top of polythene sheet over silage. I suspect the midges come from the water that lies in the tyres.

I don't have a horse, but would Skin so soft keep flies and midges away from me when I'm sitting around in the summer evenings?

We have a farm nearby where they use old tyres on top of polythene sheet over silage. I suspect the midges come from the water that lies in the tyres.

Yes. Its really good.

I have also been bitten by a horse Trem on my chest but i'm not frightened of them, my niece and nephew have one and i am forever dropping plastic 45 gallon drums of for them to make jumps, its just a personal thing with me and i just do not like horses or the smell of them.

Latest posts

Back