Austrian Bees article in New York Times

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Croatia also is allowed to keep only Carniolan bees. It makes us easier, everyone can rear nice queens. With illegal importation, the wise guys with imported " elite" bees try to cover their incompetence and narcistic greed.. Unfortunately it is more and more happening, and yet again they have severe winter losses and colonies died out of diseases.. So first thing is for which they have no brain - the problem isn't in the bees, the problem is in these beeks - such ones are not for beekeeping.. And they make to the rest of us problems..

In Croatia also is allowed to keep only Carniolan bees. It makes us easier, everyone can rear nice queens. With illegal importation, the wise guys with imported " elite" bees try to cover their incompetence and narcistic greed.. Unfortunately it is more and more happening, and yet again they have severe winter losses and colonies died out of diseases.. So first thing is for which they have no brain - the problem isn't in the bees, the problem is in these beeks - such ones are not for beekeeping.. And they make to the rest of us problems..
Keep up the good work

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

In countries (Slovenia and neighbours - including Southern Austria) where the Carniolan bee is the prevailing local subspecies, I understand the desire not to 'pollute' the gene pool.

Nonetheless, those state laws make me uneasy, I guess they're only trying to protect a valued local ecotype. Sadly, in the UK, we don't appear to have a local ecotype to protect any more.

The article is factually wrong about Germany (and other things). The Nazis promoted the native German dark bee. In recent times, the DIB has sough to promote Carnica as the 'preferred' bee in Germany. However, this is not mandated. Indeed, as far as I can make out, not only is there a healthy contingent of Buckfast and dark bee-keepers there, but - a little like the UK - there is a concerted effort (including court cases in e.g. Rheinland Pfalz) to promote the native dark bee.

I'm not on one side of the fence or the other, but (as a hobbyist, who does not have a commercial imperative driving me to Buckfast honey machines), I am heartened when I see native bees being promoted.

Equally, good luck to the Austrian guy with his leathery brown bees 😀

This is a nice video about Slovenian bee keeping. These painted bee houses look good. It is not very clear how they function.

Latest posts

Back