Attracting a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A feral colony at one end of a barn seems to have a lot of scout bees looking at knot holes at the other end of the barn, approx 20-30 plus at any one time and a lot of interest in a very specific location.

I went up to the first floor in the barn and the wall is single skinned with the bees investigating the inside.

I have placed a bait hive with inside the barn with the entrance 3 inches away from the main knot hole.

Heres hoping.

Will post pics if anything happens.
:D

Plug the knot hole in the evening.

?

Too many, bait hive is behind the most investigated, if they do decide to inhabit the bait hive I will just shut the entrance up in the evening ( it has an entrance slide built in).

Atracting swarms

Well that was worth a lot to me as there seems to be many different ideas of how to attract them,still really this is the same as any hobby everybody has their own ides.This is very much the same as in fishing you take in all the different ways and means and sort out what is best for you,I have been fishing most of my life and still learning???
But again thank you every body for all the great info.
Ray g

Hi Thank you for all your input on this,but what i do not quite understand is plugging th knot hole in the evening??
Ray G

The assumption was that this preferred (by the bees) entrance could be plugged to prevent the scouts entering and perhaps go to the bait hive instead. The reason to do it at night is so that you didn't trap any scouts inside during the flying time.

As a novice Beek, my successful bait hive this July consisted of brood box of undrawn foundation, super of old (trusted source) drawn frames, swarm lure, entrance block in and on hive stand facing south. Guess I was just lucky............. :biggrinjester:

I made 5 5frame nuc boxes with swarm lure and beeswax painted on the inside. all with new foundation. 3 nucs got taken away so i took the other 2 home.
4 weeks ago whilst driving through luton town centre, i passed a masive prime swarm clinging to a metal parking post.
onlookers were giving it a wide birth and traffic was slowing down to watch it.
i quickly went home and donned my bee suit, picked up a water spray bottle and a nuc box.
when i got back to the bees i gave the bees a good spray of water and put the nuc box over them. They soon started to enter the nuc.
then i was approached by a guy who told me that the hairdresser a few feet away had sprayed the swarm with wasp killer !!!

after about two hours nearly all the swarm was in the nuc, i had to take all the frames out to get them in and i took it to my garden where i have 3 empty nationals.
i left the nuc overnight and the next day i emptied the box over a white board and the bees started entering my national.
it was about then that i noticed about on third of the bees were dead from the wasp spray.
two days later i opened the hive for a quick peek and saw the only bees in it were about 3 hundred dead. bees.
the remaining bees had split into two, one entered my nuc box and settled in there while the other, a much smaller cast had entered one of my other nationals.
i tried spraying both lots of bees with water in the hope it may rinse off some of the remaining wasp spray.
i have fed both hives with a sugar syrup and left them alone until last week.
i had a look at them, one hive has no visable queen but seems quite happy snuggling up to the swarm lure ?
the other hive a nuc, packed with bees but only sealed brood on two frames and i did not see any queen but i think she must be there.
i united the two hives last week using newspaper, so they can do the crossword while waiting to meet each other.
2 days later i looked in to remove the paper and a lot of the bees in the bottom box had moved to the top.
i have now put all the occupied frames into 1 hive which leaves room for 3 undrawn frames in the hive. i have also given a dusting of icing sugar. three days later i did not count any varroa ?
I have also put a super under the floor and ontop of the stand ready for winter.
Since i got the bees they have been very very placid and a pleasure to watch.
today there seems to be a lot of excitement around the hive. i noticed bees bringing in orange, green and a white pollen.
There are about 7 or 8 wasps sitting around the hive so i have reduced the entrance to about twenty mil. to see if it helps out the bees.
I have also been playing wasp badminton, i know this may not help the bees but it sure is fun. :0)

I just hope they make it through the winter and i can't help wondering how big the swarm would have been if that idiot hairdresser had left them alone.

how long do you have to keep bees before you can call yourself a bee keeper ??

shonto

I just hope they make it through the winter and i can't help wondering how big the swarm would have been if that idiot hairdresser had left them alone.
and of course, if they had taken a dislike to her/him it would have been the bee's fault....

it was a he and i would never go there for a haircut !!!

even if i had hair !!!

shonto

a camp little thing, but yes , it wes a he.

Hi Shonto
you really made me laugh reading your post!
well done, loved the crossword bit.

I have managed to kill two colonies of bees over the last two winters, it took me ages to talk about it but now I realise I did it through ignorance!

I decided to give up on beekeeping, I am not a joiner kind of person so the local beekeeping group was out, and I also disagree with quite a few issues being a green/organic kind of person.

But by July I really did miss having bees about, we have a large garden so keeping them at home is not an issue really.

So on the day that I was finally able to collect my Nuc a swarm finally filled my national brood box. I put in a couple of the drawn brood frames from my last attempt at keeping and smeered it with a small amount of honey ( certainly from the bees that I caught) and a bit of rosemary and after 2 weeks of dithering around the box in they all flew.
So I am the proud custodian of 2 hives of bees, one is now at my parents ( the swarm) and the other is here.
I really feel lucky to have caught the swarm, and am now really serious about keeping them alive with a bit of advice from all the beeks I meet.

Even today I visited a neighbour of my parents who keeps bees and he is coming to help us to bed them down for the winter

so thanks in advance for all your help and answers
Clare

hi clare
its reasuring to know someone is in the same boat as i am,
Im sure we shall both get help and advice from the more seasoned beeks,

Im also sure we can help each other through the next few tentative years .

I just ordered 15k of bakers fondant ready for winter feeding at a cost of £12 58
from my local baker

shono

Latest posts

Back