At what stage do you start winter feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Looks like this summer is over before it began as far as nectar flow is concerned here. Currently feeding 1:1 but I'm starting to think that I might as well start the winter 2:1 before too long, not expecting them to bring much else in.

Any thoughts?

I'm just topping them up for now to keep them ticking over, the Queens are still laying so i do not want to over do it with syrup yet by filling the hive and leaving the Queens nowhere to lay, i will start piling it in for winter at the end of this month.

Forgive my ignorance but why would bees need feeding at this time of year, have those that do feed taken all the honey the bees have made? I have taken a super off for honey but left my 14 x 12 brood box well alone and there are lots of stores (at last inspection).

Forgive my ignorance but why would bees need feeding at this time of year, have those that do feed taken all the honey the bees have made? I have taken a super off for honey but left my 14 x 12 brood box well alone and there are lots of stores (at last inspection).

It's important to keep the queen laying for as long as possible otherwise the colony will go into winter with bees that are already quite old.
It's usual to feed a sugar syrup (1:1 just to keep them going, 2:1 to encourage them to store it as food for the winter) in late summer (with a view to completing all feeding as it gets damp in September/October.
It all depends on whether you have late nectar sources or not. Some people have access to heather/himalayan balsam which keeps them well fed if the weather is kind enough for them to forage on it. In my area, they are bringing in a little pollen but very little nectar.

Also on 14x12s, but they are now devoid of stores in 2 of my 3 hives. Nothing taken off supers since mid June.

Queens still laying though I think they may be slowing.

I've taken all useable supers off. Every hive has a part filled super to take down. There are few stores in most brood boxes so once the supers have been cleaned I will just keep an eye on the situation. One or two of the bigger colonies will get s frame or two of foundation in the middle.

How do you get them to do this, I try and fail.

Nadiring them is infallible but you run the risk of robbing at this time of year
Empty the super of bees. (I find if I don't do this I get a fair few fatalities for some reason) crownboard with a two bee space hole on top of the brood box, completely empty super, super of uncapped frames on top. Usually empty in a week.......usually :)

Latest posts

Back