Artificial Swarm Today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhodge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hope it's Ok to post my YouTube link here about today's artificial swarm in my apiary?

I like to document my learnings on beekeeping if only for my own use.

Comments welcome (good or bad), hope some novices, like me get some re-assurance from it

http://youtu.be/w6VGkjeLycY

I'm particularly interested if viewer's would use a QE below the new hive in original spot to stop old queen swarming again?

No I wouldn't put a QX under old queen. I would clip her though. (I would put a QX under a shook swarm)

Thanks for the advice. I've never clipped queens before. (Not sure I'd want to???). I know that means "well fine, take your chances then!"

The AS was done late afternoon Saturday and as of this morning they're still there! Phew.

I did notice last night that the entrance was very busy with bees and was concerned, but they just seemed to be flying around and then returning so took, as this hive is in the original position, that they were not orientating. So maybe as they are on 1:1 syrup they were just 'cleansing'???

On the basis this was done Saturday and old hive now has QC (uncapped then) in new position and new hive in old position with free foundation and feeder. Barring feed top-ups (not needed yet), when would I be taking 'action' in either hive? Or should I just leave them to it?

Hi,
i would have transfered the queen over on a frame of brood and also left the supers on so that the returning field bees have somewhere to place there store's and no need to feed.

As I've just asked a question about this very subject it was great for me to watch and get the idea of what to do, if the supers are put back on hive no 1 then would you feed no. 3? You explained and filmed everything really clearly, for a begginer this sort of film is great. Thankyou

My theory, who knows if it's right, is to disturb the hive with brood the least. (The old colony now in position 3).

I would not want them bringing up brood on syrup?? There was also little honey in the brood box as it was pretty full of brood and pollen with honey above. Not sure of that's right but over 48 hours now and both colonies still there!

Hi nick,
Thanks for the video, so easy when you can find the queen! I would definitely put a QE on the old girl. Let us know how you get on.

I'm particularly interested if viewer's would use a QE below the new hive in original spot to stop old queen swarming again?

The queen does not swarm suddenly. if They do, they fisrt make new queen cells. That may happen if you use ready combs for swarm.

But the brood parts needs a EQ because it makes often a cast. Mostly not, but does however. When a new queen emerges and it does not brake other queen cells, they are going to swarm.

Thanks Finman. That was the advice I got earlier so i have gone without on the new hive (with old queen) as that was the one I was worried would abscond as they were suddenly given a new 'empty' hive.

The old colony, now Q- with two (at the time) uncapped cells I intended to look at this weekend as they may have tried to make more QCs from the fresh eggs they had when they went Q-. I'm willing to risk one cast but not several, or are you saying THIS is the colony to put a QX on the bottom of?

That may make sense to make them fight it out rather than casting but equally, will a newly born virgin not be slim enough to squeeze through the QX?

Sorry for more questions.

(BTW: bees still there this morning and although slow to start taking feed (4 pints), are this morning (60 hours), almost out so will put more on tonight)

The old colony, now Q- with two (at the time) uncapped cells I intended to look at this weekend as they may have tried to make more QCs from the fresh eggs they had when they went Q-.

Be very thorough. Shake as many bees of all the frames you inspect, other than the frame(s) with the QC(s) you intend to keep. I missed a couple of QCs and they cast a small swarm. It only takes a small number of bees to sneakily cover a QC.

For the frame(s) with QC(s) either brush or smoke the bees off. Shaking the frame may damage the QC.

Back