Artificial Swarm Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otleybee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a mistake last year with an artificial swarm that I attempted. I found the queen and transferred her on the frame she was on into a new brood body on the site of the original colony. I clearly missed a queen cell as she swarmed the next day and left a queen cell at the top of the frame.

What is the best way to try to prevent this?

Check more carefully with the bees on the frame or shake the bees off the frame and into the new hive? Or is there another way. I was following he as method from Hooper.

Thanks

Together with the fact you missed a QC it may be you were a bit late in doing the A/S - was the cell capped? I was a bit late in doing an A/S last year - I couldn't open the hive due to weather and all the QC's had been capped (probably in the last day or so.
Luckily the swarm settled on one of my apple trees so I retrieved them fairly easily. Some will tell you that if the cells are capped then the bees have decided to swarm regardless of what you try to do.
If this year you find capped Q/C's it may be an idea to move the queen on one frame of brood (making sure there is no QC) into a nuc with a good shaking of bees and move that away from the original site, just leaving a queen cell or two in the original hive with the rest of the bees - I think Hooper suggests that method too.

You could pop her into a queen clip and rest it somewhere warm and dark, then shake the bees off the frame she was on, so you can see exactly.

Move the hive from original site 10 feet.

Put into original site a new hive which is full of foundations. Then put there a larva frame and the laying queen. Half of bees move themselves to the foundation hive.
When they draw foundations, they think that they have swarmed.

Then put an excluder into the brood hive which prevent the swarm to excape. Youn queens clear themselves with fighting. after 3 days a peace has landed on battle field.

To get honey yield you must join the hiveparts later in the main yield.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back