Artificial Swarm on Snelgrove, new Queen (?) and mass of Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Sorry there are quite a few questions here but I would greatly appreciate some advice.

I have done an artificial swarm with a snelgrove board on a very strong colony and have some questions with the brood box with the QC's and the brood box with the old queen in.

Brood Box with QC
The virgin queen has hatched I think, see pic below, and I assume is either on mating flights or somewhere having a quiet cup of tea (I couldnt see her). Problem is that there is such a good nectar flow on at the mo and the colony is so strong that the brood box has stores on every frame with virtually no where to lay eggs. I cant bruise the stores as there is very minimal capped.

I put a super with foundation on this brood box a week ago to give them more space (before it was full of stores) but they have not drawn it out.

I currently have no spare brood frames but loads of foundation so assume I need to get buying frames today.

(1) How shall I handle this brood box? If she is mating or mated there is nowhere to lay so I assume they may swarm.
(2) Shall I get the QE off and allow them to draw out the super for her to lay? Or something else?

Brood Box with Old Queen

Queen is still laying well and in that sense is good, she’s a great queen.
However, I have been having to remove lots of new QC’s every week, not just play cups, lots of QC.

They have 3 supers with two about 3 quarter capped honey and one filling up nicely which is quite heavy.

Found several QC’s yesterday and removed all but two big ones (on seperate frames) with grubs and royal jelly, see pics. I now have some nucs on route so may as well create at least one or maybe two from this colony to try and take the swarming instinct away.

(3) Am I doing the right thing?
(4) I suppose I take a frame with a QC and a frame of stores to start a nuc?
(5) Also I only have a small apiary so your advice on popping nucs in around original hives without them wanting to go home would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Question 2 answered, I removed the QE and made the hive a BB and a half with the BB full of honey and the super just foundation.

The queen wasnt there from what I could see, but there appears to be well enough bees for a swarm not to have happened.

Has anyone ever had a newly hatched queen go missing?

Cepth, I 2nd Finman by the way, but moving on....

Your colony with a virgin is behaving normally. She is not yet laying and as the brood hatches the bees are filling it with nectar/honey.

They are ignoring the super of foundation as as yet they do not need it.

If you take a couple of partly drawn super frames from an other colony and pop them in the un started one it will help.

If there are queen cells in the parent box then the old lady is failing or they want to swarm again.

PH

Latest posts

Back