Are 14x12 brood boxes better?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering changing from the BS Nationals that I currently use to Commecial via the use of hamilton converters. For three reasons, 1. To provide more brood space; 2. My Mentor uses commercials and there is benefit in being able to borrow stuff at short notice & 3. Frames and foundations tend to be sold in multiples of 10, and the hamilton converter leaves space for 10 frames. Also buying Nationals at a particular suppliers sale sale and then buying converters for £7 seems economically viable. Is anyone else using nationals converted this way?

I use mainly nationals but do have a commercial hive. I was playing in shed making commercial brood body when I had a swarm call last year and it was all I had.

I find the commercial hard to use due to the short frame lugs and the size and weight of the frames. However to pull out a commercial frame filled almost edge to edge with capped brood is a thing of great beauty.

That said I like the flexibility of the nationals and my aim is to only use brood sized boxes. So single, double and or perhaps never as a super, all dependant on how the bees are doing.

i use double broods and like them because of their flexibility and easier to move out old comb out of hive, you also only have to check one brood box for most of the year so only downsides i can see are finding the queen

What are members opinions on the use of a 14x12 brood box as to using a standard national brood box.

What are the pros / cons ?
I have advocates locally for everything from broods in national single deep, through brood and a half, double deep to commercial and 14x12 boxes.

My mature colonies are on double brood. I like the single frame type which is versatile for demaree, split or AS. Frames can be moved up or down and test frames extracted or added elsewhere. Nuc and transport boxes are readily available and in various materials (in the UK). I can extract stores from them in most of the association extractors if I have to. I like the quick scan for swarm cells between boxes.

The size is nearly always included in the UK sale lists. National deep and shallow boxes, frames and wax are usually available from where I pass regularly, and often in in the cheaper 'second', 'standard', whitewood or ply quality which is fine for summer use and making up as twinstock nucs for instance. 14x12 not so ready in supply or varied in range.

I have tried handling 14x12 boxes and frames and they are OK for me but a lot of shorter keepers think they are on the heavy side.

Main downside is that there are more boxes and frames to check. When you do need to find the queen for AS or replacement it does take longer, Everyone will have their own priorities.

Latest posts

Back