Approaching a local farmer...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Hi,

From the looks of it im failing to convince the management company where I wanted to put my bee's (at mum's house). It's a shame as it was an ideal spot, however the lack of education of how bees forage etc seems to be getting in the way they are just frightened about being stung and young children!

So for my backup plan i'd like to approach a local farmer that lives a few minutes to me - any advice of how to approach them and what to offer them? I'm probably only taking 2 hives initially so not sure what i should offer etc. Also not sure which farmers field it is so it might be a case of knocking on a few doors etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Hi,

From the looks of it im failing to convince the management company where I wanted to put my bee's (at mum's house). It's a shame as it was an ideal spot, however the lack of education of how bees forage etc seems to be getting in the way they are just frightened about being stung and young children!

So for my backup plan i'd like to approach a local farmer that lives a few minutes to me - any advice of how to approach them and what to offer them? I'm probably only taking 2 hives initially so not sure what i should offer etc. Also not sure which farmers field it is so it might be a case of knocking on a few doors etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Yup, young children can sting you - and they dont get cheaper as they grow up....

Re the farmer though, they tend to be pro, in which case a jar of honey per hive is the norm, or anti in which case forget it

we paidI two lb jars of honey per hive to my farmers, with an initial gesture of a 1/2lb jar as an opener to the discusion if they seem to keen after the initial talk

caution, you may need a 4x4...walking a wheelbarrow loaded with several 25lb supers across a ploughed field is also out, so try pasture first or arable with set aside strips

so choose your sites carefully, secure, close to access, away from public footpath (vandals)

only problems i have known was hives on the waste land under a electricity pylon...seemed and ideal spot and there was ten of them on the farm but the generating board complained when they inspected ...elf and tasty bridgade

i looked at one site today, in a old sand quarry ,site has been used for landfill so had a gravel road to it seemed ideal but then found it had a public footpath through it, will have to try it on a single hive basis as see, also was a sun trap 24 degrees today when 18 outisde on the road, left it with the owners "going to talk to wife"

Last edited:
Hi, I have my bees on a local farm, most farmers would be happy having bees. Farmers generally like wild life and would be interested in all farming matters. Knock on the door, make sure they are not busy and say that you are looking for a place in the area to put some bee hives. Explain about how the bees fly, what they need, how often you would need to visit them etc. Places could be at the edge of a wood, around the back of a barn. But always start off with a smile.
Cost, make sure your farmer has enough of the honey produced on his land for his breakfast table.
As far as who's field it is, the local farmer you will approach will know who owns all the land around him, if not his he may give you the contact of the field owner.
Good luck.
Steven

if you tell him that his crop yeld will increase every year then you won't have to give him/her any money or honey

From looking at what's been planted at the moment it seems to be hay last year not got a clue what seeds they've replanted their but they just harvested the hay/straw and replanted and it's already coming up green.

There's a few other places around so think it's just a case of knocking on doors, i might ask at the local BKA first to see if someone wouldnt mind helping me knock!

Thanks

if you tell him that his crop yeld will increase every year then you won't have to give him/her any money or honey

Hi, not all farms are arable, mine are on a livestock farm.
Steven

Hi Chris
3 out of the 4 sites I have the farmers approached me and were only to willing to offer help if needed with fencing against livestock I think the majority of farmers know the benifits of having bees. They do appreciate a jar or two of honey and it is worth it.
I don't think you will have any problem good luck.
Taylan

It's better to espy the land find the site you want. Then find the land owner and ask if you can put the bees "there". It saves them having to think, and if they are left to do the thinking as they are normally unaware of what you require for the bees their thoughts are more often than not unsuitable.

Steer them for your benefit.

PH

Thanks for the replies - do you think it's best to wait until early next year or start the rounds now as i'm doing the bee keeping course early next year then will have to wait until a nuc(s) is available from my local association.

Bear in mind i've got no real experiance (apart from books and few LAN visits) or equipment yet so hence why it might be best to ask now (think im answering my own question!).

Hi Chris, it's always nice to make a contact, before someone else does ;-)
steven

Thanks for the replies - do you think it's best to wait until early next year or start the rounds now as i'm doing the bee keeping course early next year then will have to wait until a nuc(s) is available from my local association.

Bear in mind i've got no real experiance (apart from books and few LAN visits) or equipment yet so hence why it might be best to ask now (think im answering my own question!).

i would sugest you get a hive on the site ASAP this winter, it can be empty, just to see if a local complains....i have been walking these fields for years and my dog is alergic to bees...or vandalism, always a possiblity

i would sugest you get a hive on the site ASAP this winter, it can be empty, just to see if a local complains....i have been walking these fields for years and my dog is alergic to bees...or vandalism, always a possiblity

Knowing my luck the poly's would blow away even if they are strapped down =)

Not with a concrete block in them & in top of them they won't go .
I would check out the local pub around here most farmers go for a pint. If you are a regular there you will get to know what they are like & who is growing what . I live in a rural area. For next year I have 2 more new hive locations from local farmers , one growing rape , beans and clover in the field next door. They have also started playing cards for honey instead of money in our local , with the local landlord who also is a small farmer having some of my hives on his land. He is proudly displaying " his own personal honey " in the bar and selling jars to anybody that will buy them. They all part take in in the idea of having the bees so long as they get a few jars of honey for their trouble. I gave 2 jars to another farmer who also has my bees on his land & he has another 20 jars of honey taken for others that would like some more of it ( he paid for the last 20 )

In general so long as you & the bees don't make a nuisance of your selves , it is normally fine.

Chris?

I have been using poly hives for over 23 years. Had the odd roof blow off yes, which is why a CB is a good idea, but NEVER had a poly blow away. Two bricks cures the roof situation, I just wish the makers would make the roof "skirt" another two or four inches deeper to solve the prob.

PH

It's better to espy the land find the site you want. Then find the land owner and ask if you can put the bees "there". It saves them having to think, and if they are left to do the thinking as they are normally unaware of what you require for the bees their thoughts are more often than not unsuitable.

Steer them for your benefit.

PH

:iagree:

And do NOT tell anyone where they are or you may find that person has wandered over the land, been found by the farmer whom they then berate while quoting you as having given permission for them to be on 'your' land.

Not too helpful?? :rolleyes:

if you know who owns the land, apporach then after Oct ( as they are busy getting next years wheat and rape in at the mo) and ask if you can place a couple of hives on his rape, i did this 3 years ago and i know have won the farmer over with trust, i have 6 sites on his land with the keys to all the gates and a cropping plan each year, i give the farmer and his workers xx amount of jars of honey per harvest. pm me for more details
Chris aka TB

just another thing it sounds silly but doing what i doos for a living believe me its important, be aware that during the day if he is in the house its probably his only break of the day, which meens if he is dairy then he has been up since 4/5am and will be working until 7/8pm. so make sure you arent or havent disturbed him.

he will also be used to people knocking on his door asking for permission to shoot on his ground. so make sure that he realises just what you are asking permision for - sounds silly but heard a story yesturday of someone who got permission to metal detect on a farm only to have the farmer on his first visit come screaming and shoutin across a field because matty was digging up the ground!! (dont know what farmer thought he was going to do but!!)

Make sure your boots are clean before each farm you visit, if its dairy a good farmer will appreciate this as it reduces risks of spreading infections.

Check he likes honey - no point in bribing him with some if he really doesnt like it - and they always appreciate a box of biscuits at christmas!:)

Have you tried down your local to see if anyone knows who the field belong to?

Also once land is secured, dont take extra people there without his permission. Think how you would feel if a friend brought some into your house without being invited on a regular basis

Chris I have some space in Ross on Wye if you want.
Woodland site in Walford.

Thank you for your kind offer, did a google search and its about 25-30 minutes away im looking for something a bit closier to home to begin with (i'm holmer side of the river too so traffic is a nightmare at times getting that side of the river).

Thanks,
Chris

Latest posts

Back