Apishield - wasp or hornet trap floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because velutina is constrained by its biology. Velutina needs high density insect populations to sustain it (so it needs wetlands) which we don't have by and large in the UK and because it needs nesting habitat which requires the wetlands to be forested or be in close proximity to forests. Velutina is largely concentrated around the Bordeaux area and that's no accident. It is struggling to break out from there.

Something else to consider. The vast majority of queens die naturally in temperate climates. I don't fully understand the reproductive populations for velutina but because it's a mass species I suspect it's similar to vulgaris and germanica and releases circa 1000 queens per nest (don't quote me on this as this is speculation). In temperate climes only 1 or 2 queens will survive. Add the channel and the timing for translocation to be successful and the probability of velutina crossing the channel and establishing itself is remote. If it were to happen then I would suspect an act of intentional bioterrorism!

Given is arrived from China into France I don't think it won't land here. However; it's interesting to read that it may struggle to establish itself; hopefully we won't have to test that.

Which in itself is remarkable because it must have meant several hibernating queens were transported just at the right time of year and into just the right environment for the insect to establish itself!

I Bought one from Paynes last year after nearly losing a couple of hives to Wasps, £50, I highly recommend it never having any success with lemonade bottles, Ive trapped hundreds if not thousands of of the yellow marauders.

How do the bees react to thousands of alarmed wasps underneath them?
My traps have caught maybe a hundred wasps each since the end of July and the entrances are not being bothered at all

How do the bees react to thousands of alarmed wasps underneath them?
My traps have caught maybe a hundred wasps each since the end of July and the entrances are not being bothered at all

I have similar here, the wasp trap behind the hive is half full so god knows how many are in there, however i opened up the hive two days ago to feed them and i seen a bee removing a dead wasp from inside the hive and it flew of with it out of the top, the wasp obviously lost the fight trying to steal honey.

Fine for wasps I'd say you would be lucky to catch a single asian hornet in there. An asian hornet will not enter a hive unless its very weak, it will hover by the entrance.

Fine for wasps I'd say you would be lucky to catch a single asian hornet in there. An asian hornet will not enter a hive unless its very weak, it will hover by the entrance.

I have read and seen such elsewhere, from what i have seen they are a total waste of time, Hornet wise.

Hi
I didn't want to start a new Thread when this one seems best to continue on from:

Has anyone new information about the older version called ApiShield or in particular the newer one called ApiBurg (sometimes referred to as ApiPurg) shown here (scroll down starting at page 48),
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...508ae6f4dcc953c6b.pdf?origin=publication_list
the article at times seems a bit difficult to follow, either that's down to me or it may be something lost in translation, it uses some phrases / words which are uncommon in written English which makes me suspect the latter.

My main concern is the fact that it will catch 'robber' bees from adjacent hives in the same apiary. 'Robber' bees are something I know nothing about, so any shared experience of how likely 'robber' bees are, would be greatly appreciated.

It appears to be working well for this guy, in catching wasps at least, basically it has no ongoing costs and no hassle for the beekeeper, sounds like a win win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUbLgTkRak
however the video doesn't seem to be late in the year when nectar will become more scarce, so unsure of what negative consequences the ApiShield will have when his other bees start checking out the 'ApiShield hive' in the apiary?

This wouldn't be something difficult to build for oneself, I just don't want to go to the hassle of doing so, if some other members have first hand experience of it causing the deaths of hundreds of their own bees, etc. And yes, before you ask, there are a LOT of wasps in my area.

Why bother catching wasps to begin with? just ensure your colonies are strong, and use underfloor entrances.

They are good (very good) but not wasp proof, i tried two last year and wasps could still sneak in on the outer edges, the main wasp deterrent was the tunnel entrance on my white Queen hive, the wasps where basically fooked no matter what they tried.

They are good (very good) ... i tried two last year... the main wasp deterrent was the tunnel entrance ...

Am I guessing correct that you are using the ApiShield, and not the newest version VI (referred to as ApiBurg in the Article in The Beekeepers Quarterly) with the longer tunnel? Apparently the idea of this is to reduce the likelihood of wasps or robber bees being able to enter the hive.

I've searched but cannot find anyone, online at least, selling the newest version, only the older version here
https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/products/apishield-hornet-trap/
maybe it hasn't sold as well as the Stockists/Dealers had hoped, therefore they're unwilling to stock a newer version, which I presume would be more expensive due to it's greater complexity? I wonder if anyone's making it?

Am I guessing correct that you are using the ApiShield, and not the newest version VI (referred to as ApiBurg in the Article in The Beekeepers Quarterly) with the longer tunnel? Apparently the idea of this is to reduce the likelihood of wasps or robber bees being able to enter the hive.

I've searched but cannot find anyone, online at least, selling the newest version, only the older version here
https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/products/apishield-hornet-trap/
maybe it hasn't sold as well as the Stockists/Dealers had hoped, therefore they're unwilling to stock a newer version, which I presume would be more expensive due to it's greater complexity? I wonder if anyone's making it?

Go to bed and read trough the forum and try harder with the search facility ..;)

Took your advice and went to bed :)

I did try the search facility but it often brings up everything, I get better results if I do a web search with "beekeepingforum" in the search, that's how I found this Thread, but I'll keep searching. Thanks for the input so far.

Back