Apidea Instructions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so do Amazon at £42, and I lent my copy to "someone" like you do.....

PH

Hi PH,

did you manage to get any pics taken of the markings used on mini nuc's as mentioned above?

I'm intending to set up a few this coming year and would like some idea of what "works"

cheers,

Mating in Minature by Mobus is the bible.

PH
:iagree:

Poly Hive, do you have the drawings for the mini nucs as the book dimensions are confusing me?

While we are on the subject, and you knew him well, how about writing a piece about him? I am sure there must be a book in there for you.

I dont' have them, but I know a man who does.

As for writing I am a bit busy with writing at the moment. Working on a commissioned piece and adapting another series for re-publishing.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/kirchhain.html

Dimensions as asked for.

I did put up a couple of pics on another thread of mini nuc roofs.

Admin?

PH

What's the beekeeping use for the Fairy liquid or were you washing the Apidea?

If you leave those containers upside down for long, they will leak LoL.

That is not me though that is Bernard and he had water in it as I recall to dampen the sugar.

As you know, when you demo, if you show, peeps seem to remember, if you tell: they blank it out.

PH

Thanks, I wasn't sure if Fairy was a magic liquid for something, but just a handy container at the time, not for soft hands. LoL

Hi,

I am new to bees, and am learning quickly. I was given 2 hives, one with bees the other without

I was given one of these Apidea boxes with the "odds and ends" I was given.

I intend to get a swarm to populate the second hive, but I have a question re: Apidea box for future use.

I understand confining the nursery bees, introducing a queen cell, etc , but how does the queen get fertilised...? I suppose you have to make sure there are drones in the box - but no one mentions this in the posts above - am I missing something....

You are ... the virgin queen flies from the mini-nuc to mate, she then returns and - in due course - starts laying in the mini-nuc before being moved to a larger hive. The drones are local but probably not from the mini-nuc ... They're hopefully from a well behaved and prolific hive, but not always :rolleyes:

When populating the mini-nuc you should exclude drones and preferably load it with young nurse bees. There are ways of doing this easily.

"The drones are local but probably not from the mini-nuc"

may get the odd drone when filling a mini-nuc but until queen gets mated the population of the apidea consists solely of the virgin and the young bees you filled it with. and unless the queen doesn't mate properly she'll be laying worker brood in the box.

I am new to bees

It shows. I would suggest you invest in a good bee book and read up on the subject.

Latest posts

Back