Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisd1974

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Evening guys and girls or should I say fellow beekeepers.

I am really considering beekeeping and have done quite a bit of reading, but I keep coming accross the word apiary, I know that this is a collection of hives which is fine, but can you tell me if the everyday beekeeper is able to house their hive there or is it just for the owner if there is one.

OMG Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Chris

apiary is just a word for where you keep bees. It can be an out apiary (away from your home) or an apiary in your garden.

I would think that an apiary is for a certain person or a select group. I would not think that there are public apiary(s)/apiaries (not sure about spelling there), but rather that they are restricted to one person or a society.

some BKA allow you to place your hive in their out apiary. Its ur hive but their Apiary. I have 3 hives in my garden apiary, i have an out apiary with a fellow beek and i am working on the boss to have an out apiary at the school i work at(their land, my bees). Plus i am also talking to a couple of farms between where i work and where i live to catch thier OSR so they will be temp out apiarys. hope thats confused u as much as me lol

I sort of get the gist lol I went to a local meeting last night and that has made me want to do bee keeping even more and the more I read the more it intrigues me.

great, find yourself a mentor who you call on to guide you if you have problems good luck wait to see in your profile 1 hive ...

Think the word apiary stems from the latin word for bees.

Does one hive make an apiary or do there have to be a certain number?

One hive still makes an apiary :D

(from Latin apiarium "beehouse, beehive," neut. of apiarius "of bees," from apis "bee," a mystery word unrelated to any similar words in other I.E. languages. Got curious enough to check the etymology)

One hive still makes an apiary :D

(from Latin apiarium "beehouse, beehive," neut. of apiarius "of bees," from apis "bee," a mystery word unrelated to any similar words in other I.E. languages. Got curious enough to check the etymology)
So long as you don't mistake your Etymology for your Entomology :biggrinjester:

VM

Well you learn something everyday day. I got that curious as to what etymology was that I looked that up.

Latest posts

Back