Apiary design and frame stand advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are my stands (sorry for the photos, just what's available close to home, in the rain!!) If I recall, three lengths of 4.8m 3x2" tanalised timber does trwo stands around five feet long which allows you either to have three hives on there or, as I do, two hives with plenty of space to hold supers/other kit in the middle.
And yes, it will hold a lot of weight, I've had stands holding two hives at the end of the summer with six or seven (sometimes more) supers on, mostly shallows, but usually one deep at the end of a Demarree.A coachbolt securing each leg to the rails is plenty strong

stand 1.jpgstand 2.jpgstand 3.jpgstand 4.jpgstand 5.jpgstand 6.jpg

I am 73 years old.

I set my stand heights at a mix between 20-30cms.

20cms is ok for Full hives which with supers can easily grow to head height. 30cms just adds a little more height and makes teetering at the top of a 3 step ladder and lowering 25-30kg a bit precarious.But 20cms makes inspecting a single box a bit of a bend. With boxes raise off the ground I keep inspection boards in during winter or use solid floors. Winds can be cold, high and swirl around open OMFs.
I build two hive stands and single hive stands.. the latter mainly used for nucs and Q rearing.
Each has a footprint so they can accomdate frames as well stacked by the box side. They have a floor spar so nationals and Langs can be used wihout difficulty as well as nucs..

See attached as an example of a single stand.
Is that your house number I see madasafish? and a recycling box with a roof that's novel.

Mine are pretty simple...
Cut pallet with a piece of polystyrene stuffed under the brood box.
Last plank on the pallet and styrene keep grass away from hive entrance...

But must admit.... Not as pretty as some...
pallet stand.jpg

I just stack 460mm lengths of 100mm² fence post. I can easily adjust the height at any time and it's cheap!

Is that your house number I see madasafish? and a recycling box with a roof that's novel.

No #3 hive. I use wheelie bin numbers..

All our recycling bins are wheelie bins with lids- standard issue by Staffs Morrlands DC. Brown top - garden recycling, Blue not recyclable.

Mine. Fence posts driven into the ground
Tantalised timber nailed on top.
76F7DE50-7F63-47C4-BC7C-73ED3E5FCC34.jpeg

Should read TANALISED 😂😂

Last edited:
I recently knocked up a few stands using attached drawing which I got from a Teagasc guidance document. I made the legs 500mm long this time around as I thought the previous stands were a bit low. The height of stand depends on your own setup such as single or double brood boxes along with your own physical height. If it turns out too high it's easier cutting a bit off the legs than trying to add it on.

Attachments

• Hive Stand.pdf
    272.2 KB · Views: 33
I recently knocked up a few stands using attached drawing which I got from a Teagasc guidance document. I made the legs 500mm long this time around as I thought the previous stands were a bit low. The height of stand depends on your own setup such as single or double brood boxes along with your own physical height. If it turns out too high it's easier cutting a bit off the legs than trying to add it on.
This is the full Teagasc document for anybody who is interested. It may be a bit dated for the modern beekeeper.

Attachments

• Teagasc Honey_Production.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 23
If the top of the brood box is level with your nuts you won't get a bad back, you may need a step ladder for supers though lmao.

This is the full Teagasc document for anybody who is interested. It may be a bit dated for the modern beekeeper.

Yes, that's the design I make. The gap between the two horizontals is just right for hanging a frame.

Attachments

• 86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 3214B983-741B-4F59-9B9A-C4E4C1CB3905.jpeg
    3214B983-741B-4F59-9B9A-C4E4C1CB3905.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back