Anyone know what's happening please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another! image.jpg
The previous picture seems to show just exoskeletons. Is this a sign of wasps? If so, what do I do about it? It's been such a busy, healthy hive!

Stop worrying about it ... there's nothing unusual in what you are seeing .. I haven't got a photo but my landing boards this morning had grubs, dead bees and a dead wasp on it. Bear in mind that the bees will sometimes have to drag a corpse from the top of the hive down to the bottom to get it out. I see bits of wings, legs and all sorts of stuff they remove from the hive - on the landing board and on the inspection board.

A healthy strong hive will repel any wasps that try to get in - and you are only looking at solitary wasps looking for an easy meal at this time of the year - the wasp nests are virtually over so you won't get mass attacks. The wasps are opportunists and they will pick up dead protein on the landing board and on the floor in front of the hive so don't be alarmed if you see the odd one around.

But what do I know 'with my limited experience' ?

And another! View attachment 12519
The previous picture seems to show just exoskeletons. Is this a sign of wasps? If so, what do I do about it? It's been such a busy, healthy hive!

Sit back and relax, it's normal. My boards have the same on them. A bit of temperature increase or mild weather and the bees drag out their dead.
It is not a sign of wasps, as any half decent beekeeper could tell you.

Phew, thank you guys! I'm glad of your comforting words! Seems to me, things no sooner look on the up when something unexpected happens. :thanks:

A bit of temperature increase or mild weather and the bees drag out their dead.

My Paynes landing board looks like a war zone this morning; all sorts on it.
Some of the bees are carrying corpses out and dropping them like bombs into the grass.

BTW, Cherry. I might paint that hive when it comes out of service....it might last longer.

Thank you EricA. So many helpful people reassuring me! I am glad to know it's not serious. I lost one colony last year just because I didn't have the knowledge to identify the problem and save it. Things can happen so quickly. I shall be painting the floor and some other bits next year, when I can swap things around a bit. Just needed them quickly at the time. Most stuff is done in Cuprinol Shades. They have some wonderful colours, although I've needed to do four coats of paint on everything!

Those thrown out "white" corpses in the photos are drones. Why is nobody commenting on that ? Most colonies do not normally rear drones at this time of year. Cherry111 might still have a problem in that hive but nothing much can be done about it at this time of year. Might be unmated or poorly mated drone laying queen from late supersedure. Could also be laying workers but I think that scenario unlikely.

Apologies to Pargyle. I wasn't trying to be rude or pompous. My comment was meant to be complimentary ie I was pleasantly surprised that he was able to "read" the situation accurately even though he hasn't had the benefit of several colonies over several years to provide him with a comprehensive set of "problems" to solve. I know several "so called" experienced beekeepers (and there are probably some on this forum) that still can't "read their bees" correctly. They tend to be the local "wizards" in their associations spreading poor technique, inaccurate information and myths to newbies (and matchstick users?).

Those thrown out "white" corpses in the photos are drones. Why is nobody commenting on that ? Most colonies do not normally rear drones at this time of year. Cherry111 might still have a problem in that hive but nothing much can be done about it at this time of year. Might be unmated or poorly mated drone laying queen from late supersedure. Could also be laying workers but I think that scenario unlikely.

Apologies to Pargyle. I wasn't trying to be rude or pompous. My comment was meant to be complimentary ie I was pleasantly surprised that he was able to "read" the situation accurately even though he hasn't had the benefit of several colonies over several years to provide him with a comprehensive set of "problems" to solve. I know several "so called" experienced beekeepers (and there are probably some on this forum) that still can't "read their bees" correctly. They tend to be the local "wizards" in their associations spreading poor technique, inaccurate information and myths to newbies (and matchstick users?).

Hi, I am glad that you mentioned the possibility of a drone laying queen, but another would be compromised brood due to varroa infestation and then particularly drone brood. I personally would do a varroa count and following that have a look on a warm day when the bees are flying as there is nothing to lose.

I took it as a compliment... Post #17 ..... thank you. I learn quick....

<snip> - and you are only looking at solitary wasps looking for an easy meal at this time of the year - the wasp nests are virtually over so you won't get mass attacks. The wasps are opportunists and they will pick up dead protein on the landing board and on the floor in front of the hive so don't be alarmed if you see the odd one around.

<snip>

Sorry to contradict you Pargyle. We are still getting reports of active nests in hunting mode. Wasps generally hunt alone during the hunting phase of their life cycle. They will swarm feed occasionally when there's a residual protein source such as carrion and rarely they may attack a hive on mass to rob out larvae. Once in the sweet feeding mode adult wasps will ignore larvae and go after carbohydrates and that's when they'll be the greatest risk to the hive. And so that you are aware, the latest that we've had wasps attacks hives for carbs and overwhelm them is mid January.

If you find bits of wing and legs lying around then this is typical detritus left behind by wasps. I'm not saying that the problem in Cherry111's case was down to wasps or that she should panic - just that it may not be wise to discount wasps prematurely.

Sorry to contradict you Pargyle. We are still getting reports of active nests in hunting mode. Wasps generally hunt alone during the hunting phase of their life cycle. They will swarm feed occasionally when there's a residual protein source such as carrion and rarely they may attack a hive on mass to rob out larvae. Once in the sweet feeding mode adult wasps will ignore larvae and go after carbohydrates and that's when they'll be the greatest risk to the hive. And so that you are aware, the latest that we've had wasps attacks hives for carbs and overwhelm them is mid January.

If you find bits of wing and legs lying around then this is typical detritus left behind by wasps. I'm not saying that the problem in Cherry111's case was down to wasps or that she should panic - just that it may not be wise to discount wasps prematurely.

Wow .. so late in the year to have that happen !

The wasp nest in my loft (been there since May - possibly earlier as I don't go up there very often) has been empty for the last month .. and it was a big one .. about 2 feet in diameter - and a beautiful looking thing it was too. Strangely, despite the nest up there we've hardly been bothered by wasps this year - perhaps the garbage weather and few alfresco meals ? There's still an odd wasp or two about in the garden but they seem to be after a few applies left on the trees.

There has also not been any wasps in the waspbane for the last couple of weeks either ... but your advice is valuable - I keep a good eye open for any signs of wasps trying to get into the hives and the OP is well advised to do the same.

Almost certain that I have a late supercedure DLQ. Drone pupae are still being removed on a daily basis and I've seen several drones enter the hive. Is that it or is there anything I can do? :hairpull:

Almost certain that I have a late supercedure DLQ. Drone pupae are still being removed on a daily basis and I've seen several drones enter the hive. Is that it or is there anything I can do? :hairpull:

Not necessarily a drone layer... again .. we've had a very late end to the season (it's 13.5 degrees here today - although very windy) and the queen doesn't always stop laying drones when the book says she does .. but, after the cold snaps recently (we had our first overnight frost last week) they may now be sensing that the winter is night .. and the drones (bees and larvae) will get turfed out. You have been feeding them quite a lot and the available food also has a bearing on the drone population .. if it gets scarce they go first.

In any case, even if you have a DLQ (and I somehow doubt it), there's nowt to be done about it now .. if they are well fed and there's plenty of bees they will survive over winter and you just need to be a bit sharp off the mark in spring .. you'll know soon enough whether you have a drone layer once she starts laying again, or not as the case may be - but you'll have to introduce a queen or combine then as the bees can't do much about it.

Thank you Pargyle. I hope you are right. The queen which went missing was in a different hive, Hivemaker. Actually, they were both about the same age. My two queens from this year seem to be okay as far as I can tell from watching the entrance.

Hi Cherry, If you were HM you would requeen.

Latest posts

Back