Anybody out there remember Julie Covington?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
I heard her 1970s recording of "Don't cry for me Argentina" the other day and it reminded me of what a good voice she has.

I found on YouTube a couple of haunting recordings of Lennon and MaCartney songs - the first is that rare rendition - a cover version of "If I Fell" that was better than the original. The second was "In my Life", which is totally delicious.

She does not seem to have done much in public since the early 1990s, don't know why. Any closet Julie Covington fans out there know what she's up to - she's over 70 now but I bet that voice is still pretty good!

CVB

Yes yes yes.......Rock Follies, Rula Lenska, Charlotte Cornwell and Julie Covington as the Little Ladies........Ah, I remember it well

She had a wonderful voice - although I understand she was not keen on live performance - for some reason she decided to drop off the radar in 1999 (May) and requested any information about her to be removed wherever she could. She had a close working relationship with Pete Atkin and Clive James who she came into contact with whilst at Cambridge and took part in the Footlights Review which started so many show business careers.

I had a copy of her album - Beautiful Changes - but lent it to a 'friend' and never got it back - it was a lovely set of songs but none of them ever really got the recognition they deserved. Copies on ebay were selling for immense sums a few years ago when I tried to replace it ...

She was as good an actress as she was a singer.

Anyway, I don't know what she is doing now - nothing public since about 1997 when she appeared with Peter Atkin - she's clearly a very private person and even her unofficial website has not been updated for many years.

It's always frustrating when someone with a massive talent denies us the opportunity to see and hear them perform - we can only surmise that there is something that is more important to her and respect her desire for privacy and wish her well - she's 70 now so it's perhaps best to remember her as she was ... and enjoy the wonderful recordings that are still available.

She had a wonderful voice - although I understand she was not keen on live performance - for some reason she decided to drop off the radar in 1999 (May) and requested any information about her to be removed wherever she could. She had a close working relationship with Pete Atkin and Clive James who she came into contact with whilst at Cambridge and took part in the Footlights Review which started so many show business careers.

I had a copy of her album - Beautiful Changes - but lent it to a 'friend' and never got it back - it was a lovely set of songs but none of them ever really got the recognition they deserved. Copies on ebay were selling for immense sums a few years ago when I tried to replace it ...

She was as good an actress as she was a singer.

Anyway, I don't know what she is doing now - nothing public since about 1997 when she appeared with Peter Atkin - she's clearly a very private person and even her unofficial website has not been updated for many years.

It's always frustrating when someone with a massive talent denies us the opportunity to see and hear them perform - we can only surmise that there is something that is more important to her and respect her desire for privacy and wish her well - she's 70 now so it's perhaps best to remember her as she was ... and enjoy the wonderful recordings that are still available.

Thanks for filling in some details. The links in post #1 came from Let's Face The Music of Lennon And McCartney, Yorkshire Television, made in 1989 and her voice was still good then.

Let's hope she's living happily, possibly in Yorkshire, with a couple of beehives in her garden and singing gently to the bees occasionally.

CVB

Last edited:
Yes yes yes.......Rock Follies,

I still have the vinyl somewhere. Since copied to CD for convenience. LP is still in fine condition.

Ah haha... I love that people are talking about musical theatre in a beekeeping forum... and I didn't start it!

The best recording of Guys and Dolls (1982) has her in it with other awesome cast:

The great Bob Hoskins as Nathan Detroit, Julia McKenzie as Adelaide, Ian Charleson as Sky, and Julie Covington as Sarah. Flawless cast.

I also grew up with an album of hers playing in the background. My main memory being that of her having problems with keeping her 'head screwed on'.

She's a very 'human' singer - by that I mean you hear a person singing, rather than just a singer singing. Take note Alfie Boe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ah haha... I love that people are talking about musical theatre in a beekeeping forum... and I didn't start it!.....

She's a very 'human' singer - by that I mean you hear a person singing, rather than just a singer singing. Take note Alfie Boe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very well put. If you listen to the "If I Fell" link in the first post, you hear something far more personal than the original Beatles' recording could ever be.

Oh Julie, where are you hiding?

CVB

Latest posts

Back