Any tips on rescuing broken brood combs after overeager spinning!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I committed a foopah - having used a brood box as a super to get some precious brood comb drawn I got over-excited and span far too hard and now have two frames with snapped foundation wire. I hadn't appreciated the extra weight of a brood comb and was more excited about having 8 frames of packed frames! Learnt my lesson know - the other 6 came through OK once I eased off!

The damaged ones have wires damage - one is vertical wire and one horizontal wire - so the comb is still in the frame but not very stable, especially if I lift up at 90 degrees.

- Has anybody got any tips for trying to get some support back in the frame - re-wiring some how??
- or will the bees do suitable enough repairs to enable it to act as brood comb in the future?

I was so angry with myself because I always find getting enough brood comb drawn out always a challenge and feel that I have let the bees down by trashing their hard work. Hate to think it may be no good for anything.

Rubber bands around it to hold it in place and give it back to the bees. They should re-attach it before they chew the rubber bands off (if they have read the right books).

Ross

Tangential spinner?

As long as the comb is straight in the frame it will be OK, I would think, once the bees repair it for you.

If you do re use, mark the frames so you can identify them as possibly weak!

Thanks all hadn't thought of elastic bands; sounds easier than wire. Certainly worth a try because they were beautifully drawn until I got my hands on them!

When I have broken comb, I let the bees first clean it and they repair it in one night. Next day I look, is it good and then correct the rest if needed.

When I have broken comb, I let them first to clean it and they repair it in one night. Next day I look, is it good and then correct the rest if needed.

It depends how it is broken and what corrections it needs.

Latest posts

Back