Any other test for Q-?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inchyra

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everybody.

First season and learnt loads from watching this forum. Now need a hand!

Briefly, 5 frame nuc arrived early May. All well until apparent supercedure late June. Some eggs and some sealed brood then spotted 16th July. 3 empty frames in BB and super on so assumed low swarm risk. Left alone until 6th Aug when no sign of eggs, larvae or sealed brood (or QC). Just stores around empty cells. Still the same yesterday.

No access to a frame with eggs so is there any other way to test whether I have a poor queen or no queen? Needless to say I can't see a queen but frankly I couldn't on 16th July either when there must have been one.

And how much time do I now have to make a decision and buy a laying queen - if that's the way forward?

Many thanks for any advice.

Chris

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you make contact with your local BKA. Someone is likely to assist. Your colony may be in serious trouble and need help quickly. The super seems to be overkill, BTW. Are you sure she is not laying in the super?

Regards, RAB

Rab

Thank you for prompt reply and for your welcome. I will follow your advice re BKA. No, not laying in the super, I took it off last week and extracted 12lbs honey. Should have made clear that it is no longer on.

Regards

Chris

2nd year keeper

Chris,
I have been keeping bees for 2 seasons now and have found myelf with the same problem on one of my hives. My saving grace was having 3 colonies (it might have been 4 at the time) and having a frame of eggs to donate. I think keeping one colony is walking a bit ot a tight rope.
Steve

Yes - all the books I have read say the same thing, start with 2 colonies but as mine was a surprise 60th birthday present I've had to play the cards I was dealt!! BTW after my email to them today on Rab's advice a member of our local branch of BBKA called this evening and has inspected and confirmed that in his opinion I'm Q-. Amazingly prompt response. Presume I will now have to source a new queen ASAP.

a member of our local branch of BBKA called this evening

And you let him get away without asking about test frames and where (a recommendation) to get a queen?

RAB

a member of our local branch of BBKA called this evening

And you let him get away without asking about test frames and where (a recommendation) to get a queen?

RAB
Never thought to ask for test frame. I was just so grateful for the rapid response. He was pretty confident about lack of queen. Received an email this AM from Chairman saying the association has recently been contacted by someone in Cyprus offering mated queens for £25 inc P&P. I have replied saying £££ not nearly as important as saving the colony with best queen available. I'd have thought high risk in posting queens from so far away??

(Sorry - attached advert from Cyprus supplier and then read rules of forum so deleted )

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your plight.

I am very impressed (not)that a person came and looked and opined so definately without suggesting a test frame. However I strongly feel that opinion is totally suspect.

I may think a colony does not have a mated queen but the only way I can prove to myself the status is to use a test frame. When I see queen cells being drawn I then know the colony is in fact queenless. If I do not see them then I have to accept that there is a queen of some sort in there.

Before buying a queen which is to be doomed on introduction due to a virgin in the house please call your assoc again and beg a frame with some eggs and young larvae. If they ask why for goodness sake write them off.

PH

inchyra

The queen could have gone off lay (not uncommon nowadays). Most likely she has gone but she could be there. Check where the brood area is - if the cells are polished ready for a queen to lay, then she she will probably be there. If the brood area is now being filled with honey and/or pollen then the chance is that she's gone.

If marked, the old queen should be easy to see so if the inspection did prove negative for a queen then you local rapid response force is probably correct.

Latest posts

Back