Another question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What are the benefits/downfalls of the hot and cold ways of arranging the frames.

Most hives used worldwide don't give a choice - all cold way.

Using standard designs it's only an issue for square format hives.

It's been discussed to bits on here.
General consenus is it doesn't matter.
(I assume are going to buy nat or 14 x 12?)

If you are using mesh floors don't think it's so much of an issue but it could be said cold way gives better access for the bees. I tend to have mine warm way but that's just as I know the general direction of the wind at my site although I don't think it makes much difference. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you the proper ins and outs.

I am going to use a National with a mesh floor, which I have herd makes no difference warm or cold

Correct.
Really down to you and which way you feel most comfortable with.
Experience will tell you that.

I am going to use a National with a mesh floor, which I have herd makes no difference warm or cold

Really, the major difference is where you should be standing - always in the same place wrt the frames.

It makes no difference to the bees which way they live - BUT - that doesn't mean that they ignore having their home rotated.
Don't change them without it being a considered manipulation. Changing the hive around (literally) disorientates them.

/ Have you tried the forum search function?

If it suits you and your layout to work from the side of your hive then cold way, if from the back, then warm way. I don't think the bees give a damn

If it suits you and your layout to work from the side of your hive then cold way, if from the back, then warm way. I don't think the bees give a damn

Agreed! Likely more important is the rough geographical orientation of the comb....Which way would the bees prefer? North-South or East-West?

:iagree:

i prefer to work my hive from behind so i run the cold way

Are you sure you agree? Shirley, working from the side, finds it easier than from behind!

Are you sure you agree? Shirley, working from the side, finds it easier than from behind!

Shirley likes it from behind too ;) But i see my typo thanks for pointing it out :)

A neighbouring beekeeper runs 40+ full stocks and generally overwinters a good number of Nucs as well. He finds that with frames placed the cold way, the bees keep their stores to the rear of the hive and the brood to the front. Frames placed the warm way have a central brood area with a nice arc of stores above and beside the brood - he prefers this 'pattern' for making up Nucs and so he runs his hives the warm way in Summer to allow him to make up Nucs (some of which he sells). He switches to the cold way when he starts his Autumn feeding. He reports that he has found his colonies better utilise their stores if overwintered the cold way.

Latest posts

Back