Another question from the Idiots Corner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Have just done an inspection and am not sure what to do. I have a lot of capped brood (about 6 frames) eggs and larvae - not a lot in the way of stores but not sure to be honest. There was capped honey, and nectar, but again to be honest was more intent on looking for the queen. (this is only my 3rd inspection so still a bit new to it all). Anyway am not sure whether to put on a super as there seemed to be more capped brood than anything else. Just dont want her to run out of room.

Hi Lindylou,

Not an *****'s (that was typed as idi*t) question at all.

It's really hard to keep focused, to be sure of what you see.

I'm sure the wise, the great and the good will give some helpful advice.

One piece of advice will certainly be, not to focus on seeing the queen - so i will say I before they do. Now I put first, the location of eggs. I look for big larvae, track down to small larvae, tiny larvae - then, Lo and Behold! you will find eggs! Magic when you do.

So, stop searching for the queen! (But, between you and me, I do. And what a buzz and a comfort when you see her!)

Dusty.

Last edited:
The usual thinking is to put a super on when there's eight or so frames of brood (in all stages) when you say capped brood were there other frames with larvae and eggs or just the six in total?. And remember you don't need to see the queen each time you inspect, as long as you see evidence of her presence (brood in all stages) sometimes we all get blinkered about finding her when we should be looking at other things.I don't know what the weather or forage situation is where you are but you could get away with it for another week in the weather we have locally, but it all depends if the remaining five frames have space or not.

Lindylou, I doubt that you have any drawn super frames.

Getting the first frames drawn can be a problem -- it doesn't count as space until it is drawn comb!

You don't need to worry about supering just yet.
Which makes it a good time to put the shallow under the brood box - at your next inspection.
Hopefully they will soon start drawing it out.
Maybe after it has been under for a fortnight or so - and they have at least made a serious start to drawing a decent amount of comb there, you could be thinking of moving it on top.
If its there - underneath - they will draw it if they need it. It ain't necessarily so if the foundation is provided above the brood.
If they don't draw it out you can rest easy that they don't need it, yet.

I have a lot of capped brood (about 6 frames)...

If you have six complete (equivalent) frames of capped brood there will be around half that of larvae and about a quarter of the capped brood area as eggs (assuming she is laying at a consistent rate). Sooo you should, if your estimate is correct, have around ten and a half frames of BIAS. So needs a super.

However, new beeks 'notoriously' exaggerate the actual amount of brood, so I may be a little early in suggesting a super now. Eight frames is the usual ball park number of frames of brood, before a super is added.

Remember, those capped brood have got another three, four or more weeks to go before they start to forage, and if the colony is expanding quickly (see inspection notes on frames of brood), there may still only be a foraging force, at the moment, adequate for storing a lesser amount of honey as the larvae will consume most of the nectar they collect. Only when the colony has a surplus of foragers over brood (and/or a really good local flow) will they start to fill the super(s) quickly.

That is why I always strive for strong colonies - as in lots of bees. There will be plenty of bees, of wax-building age, to construct comb as the flow comes in.

RAB

my guess is it stands for brood in all stages

what's BIAS?

The context should have given it away, shirley?

6 capped + 3 larvae + 1 1/2 eggs = 10 1/2, n'est ce pas?

:) You noticed! It was just for you.

I failed my 'O' level french on three occasions. Almost passed on the third attempt. I then gave up, as 'A' levels were approaching.

shirley you must know who Shirley is? (hint)

Back