Another newbie query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilybetbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A quick re-cap
I started with 2 nucs last spring, unfortunately the first swarmed whilst I was on holiday in July. On my return hive seemed queenless, so given test frame and immediately put up QC. Left for a couple of weeks but queen didn't get mated - now in September. Other colony seemed fine so didn't want to mess with it. Bought a queen and introduced ok. Couldn't see her on final inspection, but too late to do anything.

I shut the hive up and as it was a small colony I wasn't optimistic about survival. However bees still alive, flying and eating fondant, but didn't see pollen going in (unlike the other hive).

I'm assuming that I shouldn't inspect for another 4-5 weeks, but want to plan ahead.
Would the best solution be to add another frame of eggs at that point - assuming I have some! Or try another queen ?
They are in a full National hive - would putting them in a nuc box be a better idea, or just leave them alone.

Wait until this cold snap is over.

Then, on a good sunny day with at least 10C and the bees flying, open them up for a quick look. Make plans based on what you see.

A quick check should not do any harm.
Are there live bees? Are there drones? (shouldn't be) Are they seriously low on stores? (Alternatively, they do have some empty drawn comb, don't they?) And if you spot any worker brood at all (though a nice pattern of uncapped would be even better), then you can close up immediately. You don't want to be seeing drone brood!
Remove any dummy board, maybe an outer frame, then open a seam where the bees are gathered and pull a frame out from amongst the bees. Hopefully, you'll only need to look at one frame.

Should only need to be open for a couple of minutes ... and on a 'nice' day that ought not to disturb the bees much, if at all.

// I really like see-through coverboards. You can see a lot without much chilling or disturbance at all.

I'm assuming that I shouldn't inspect for another 4-5 weeks, but want to plan ahead.

Never assume anything! I have actually taken apart a hive in mid-Feb before now as the temps were up close to 20 degrees. Last March had rediculously high temps fairly regularly for the time of the year. It is not possible to forecast the conditions, for any particular day/week, in advance of more than a very few days.

You will not be requeening until queens are available, that is for sure.

Never add frames of eggs as that is likely a waste of resources if the bees are already stretched in looking after what they already have. A frame with emerging brood is far better as they need less warmth, no feeding and will soon reinforce the nursing bees in the colony.

You cannot make decisions based on what you might see; wait until you know what the situation is and then enquire on the forum, if you are not sure.

I agree....patience is a real virtue in this game. See how they cope to start with until you can make fairly accurate decisions. A quick look in as per itma would be good to get an idea of where you MAY be heading! But on a WARM day

Bear in mind if they are queenless then introducing a frame of eggs so they can raise a queen is likely to be counter productive for a number of reasons :
Small colonies don't usually raise good queens
Unlikely to have nurse bees (young bees) to be able to produce royal jelly
Lack of mature drones available for mating early on in the season (takes at least 6 weeks from egg to get to maturity)

Without inspecting the colony it's not sensible to make any plans. However if when you do and find it's in a poor state it might make more sense to unite the 2.

Andy

However if when you do and find it's in a poor state it might make more sense to unite the 2.

Far easier to say that when we have more colonies. Sometimes it is better to retain two colonies, dependent on the beekeeper and the situation. I don't think I would unite if I only had two colonies (one strong) and they were OK apart from strength of the lesser colony. All within reason of course, but having two queens is better than just the one. Two nuc-sized colonies may be the economic route rather than buying in later.

Latest posts

Back