Another extraction question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was going to extract one super at the weekend using my new manual extractor. However I've just thought that not all of the frames that I am going to take are wired. I'm using wired totally now but didn't to start off. What will happen if I put an unwired frame in the extractor? I'm happy to sacrifice the wax and then put wired in the frames for next time. It's whether it's worth putting them in the extractor or should I just extract those ones manually?

Tangential or radial extractor? If radial, it is possible to extract unwired frames, take it slowly at first.
If tangential still possible but evn more care needed probably have to turn the frames twice to prevent the wax blowing out.

Turn them regularly, be very careful. If you leave extra honey in one side the weight will blow through. So ten gentle spins and turn until they are light.
E

Just spin slowly at first turning the frames three or four times. The grid on the tangential extractor will support the frames

Latest posts

Back