Angry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
HI
I was wondering if someone could help me, the other day when i was inspecting the hive the girls started to get aggressive.It's been about 7 days i thought i would check all is well, i still haven't seen the queen!!!! I done as told put on the excluder some bees upstairs.Today i got to the 4th frame then all the bees started to fly round about my head, i backed off but the bees didn't. As i approached the hive they started to fly round me. Is it the time of year ? have they been robbed? They are Italo Caucasian in the beginning they were so gentle not now:sos::hairpull:

First of all they may just have been having a bad hair day. It happens. Often the moment you open the roof you know you are in for a hard time and I always advise beginners to close it up again and try another day. Sometimes it is the weather, or they have been disturbed by something else.
They could be queenless, they could be being robbed, but most likely they were just having an off day. Try to be calm, gentle. Use as little smoke as you can. Try spraying them with a weak sugar solution. When you first go in give them time to realise you are there. If all else fails, wear a bomb proof suit and go in and do your inspection. If they are queenless then a new queen often solves the problem. Most importantly don't lose heart, get help or you will lose confidence and start hating the thought of inspecting your bees. It took me many years to get rid of the butterflies in my stomach just before inspecting. Now it takes a lot to make me run! Knocking three hives over did the trick though!
E

I have replied on my Hornet problem thread, but just saw this.

I do find that trying earlier in the day helps. If nothing else I am cooler, which means that I am less stressed and am therefore prepared to move a little more slowly & try not to get my gloves caught under the frames etc etc.

I still get one or two who decide that its fun to buzz me, but on the whole life is better.

I am keeping an eye on the forecast hoping for some cooler days ahead - I see we might be getting thunderstorms come the weekend (here in the mountains) so that may help!

Latest posts

Back