an AS via a bush....could I demaree?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
So yesterday I was at work and a swarm (most likely one of mine) entered the farmer's house. Couldn't help as I was trapped in meetings an hour away so a beekeeping neighbour helped out.

Today I went round to re-assure and apologise for any inconvenience. I stayed about an hour and as I was leaving I could hear my hives roaring a hundred yards away. 5 more minutes chat and as I looked over the farmer's wife shoulder I saw a swarm landing in a bush. So straight home into kit, get box and sheet, and rescue my swarm (whether they like it or not).

Tonight they are settling into a 14*12 brood box. They are massive but I cannot be sure which colony they have come from, it could be one of 3 hives with recently marked queens.

Is it possible to combine them with another colony via a demaree, so that the swarm urge goes but they continue to produce honey? The new swarm have been given mostly drawn frames and have a queen, so they would go bottom. The existing queen (if she is in the colony) would either be killed or go with the brood into the top 14*12 brood box. Supers in between.

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:
Well done Sam.

Time to consider clipping your queens?

Latest posts

Back