An albino drone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cork beek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I was out at my friends hive on Wednesday and we saw this drone.

I of course starting taking the p**s and said that he mis-tuck him for a queen and marked him last year! :laughing-smiley-004

In all seriousness though, I have never seen or heard of anything like this, could this possibly be an albino drone?

albinodrone.jpg

How bizarre!

I thought Cork drones had red & white spots - that one must have flown all the way from Kildare...

Somebody in the neighbourhood practising marking on a drone?

Somebody in the neighbourhood practising marking on a drone?

possibly, but if that was the case, your looking at someone who knows what they are doing..i.e. a beekeeper so you would assume that they would have their own to practice on.

Also, they would had to of caught him to practise on, two much work I think :confused:

Our friendly neighbourhood BBKA bod - invites newbees to learn marking on all his drones...we often see them.

possibly, but if that was the case, your looking at someone who knows what they are doing..i.e. a beekeeper so you would assume that they would have their own to practice on.

Also, they would had to of caught him to practise on, two much work I think :confused:

they probaby did all that - caught to practice before having a go at their Q.

They can't sting so great to practice on and then they will fly off and return to different hives

If you have more than one hive at a site it's interesting to see where they end up at different inspections. I've done it to practise, and see where the drones are going.

they probaby did all that - caught to practice before having a go at their Q.

They can't sting so great to practice on and then they will fly off and return to different hives

The buddy who owns this hive has over 100 and has his own home mating apiary (i have 3 apideas up there) and has done for the past few years so he is well able to mark queens, ive even seen him pick up newly mated queens and mark them so he doesnt need to use drones for practice.

In fact, when we saw him, he was as surprised as me, sure he took the picture

If you have more than one hive at a site it's interesting to see where they end up at different inspections. I've done it to practise, and see where the drones are going.

We wont be going out again to his hives for about 12 days as he is going to Gormanston to for a big beekeeper get together next week :D

The buddy who owns this hive has over 100 and has his own home mating apiary (i have 3 apideas up there) and has done for the past few years so he is well able to mark queens, ive even seen him pick up newly mated queens and mark them so he doesnt need to use drones for practice.

In fact, when we saw him, he was as surprised as me, sure he took the picture

from a different apiary??

Latest posts

Back