Am I too late to split a colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy_mac

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I only have one hive, which was starting swarm preparations. I used the nucleus method as swarm control, but the new queen was a done layer.
My remaining colony has about 6 frames of brood.
I'm based in Stockport and was wondering if it is too late for me to try to split the colony to have 2 heading into winter?

I only have one hive, which was starting swarm preparations. I used the nucleus method as swarm control, but the new queen was a done layer.
I'm based in Stockport and was wondering if it is too late for me to try to split the colony to have 2 heading into winter?
I wouldn't with only six frames of brood. Get them as strong as you can to get through winter

With the rubbish weather and getting to the latter part of the summer season then no.
The six frames of brood isn't a strong colony , all one will end up with is two weak colonies.
Mid to late spring into early July is the ideal time to split colonies when they should be at there strongest.

Last edited:
Unite the nuc bees back to the parent colony so it can make use of the extra bees .
Collect a swarm to over winter as a second colony or wait until next year once your present colony has wall to wall brood.

Last edited:
I live 30 miles away just North of Stoke on Trent.
You need strong colonies to withstand wasps (though not seen many yet).Two three frame brood nucs would be likely decimated.

And that is well before winter.

I live 30 miles away just North of Stoke on Trent.
You need strong colonies to withstand wasps (though not seen many yet).Two three frame brood nucs would be likely decimated.

And that is well before winter.
I was looking through a colony on Tuesday, with my granddaughters. One (10yrs old) was holding the hive tool when a wasp flew onto the frame top. As quick as lightning it met its grisly end when a well aimed swipe got it - missing the bees. I was very impressed!

if you only have six frames, then it's not really strong enough - you also need to ignore the 'advice' of those obsessed with habving two colonies to overwinter, You are far better off overwintering one strong colony rather than two mediocre ones.

The decision to increase needs to take in to account colony strength and the beek experience.
Whilst splitting a 6 frame brood isn't practicle now it can be so later in spring where thay will with care expand and prosper.
Take another thread a bursting nuc is ideal and asking for a BB to expand into, though with a BB one can dummy them down. Two opposing strategies .

As mentioned one strong colony overwintered is better the two struggling weak colonies trying to just survive.
A great number of summer bees will die off before late Autumn to be replace gradually by the winter bees produced , splitting means fewer bees to keep brood warm thus less brood will be reared and three frames of bees this time of year is pitiful.

Latest posts

Back