Am I just being impatient ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
currently 5 hives & 3 nucs
On the 15th May, I retrieved a swarm from near my apiary. In an effort to find the guilty hive, I inspected my prolific hive and found queen cells. I did an AS removing all queen cells bar two, one on one frame, and one on another. So one of the queen cells went with the house bees and brood, and the other frame with the other queen cell stayed on the original site with the flying bees.
On 26th May, both queen cells are open, and I assume that a queen has emerged from each. Since then we have enjoyed wonderful warm, and sunny weather often reaching 18 -20c.
Today 7th June, I had a quick peep to see if there was any brood. I had expected both queens to be mated, and laying by now because of the wonderful weather. There is no brood at all. I have not spotted either queen, but I realise that virgin queens can be small and difficult to spot. The bees are calm, and seem purposeful.....am I just being too impatient ? I would have thought that our current conditions have been perfect for them.

Thinking about another swarm that I captured 8 days ago.....am I right in thinking that I shouldn't mark a virgin queen?

Thanks
J

On 26th May, both queen cells are open, and I assume that a queen has emerged from each...Today 7th June, I had a quick peep to see if there was any brood...am I just being too impatient ?
Most of the recommendations are at least two weeks before expecting to see eggs, three is not unreasonable.
Thinking about another swarm that I captured 8 days ago.....am I right in thinking that I shouldn't mark a virgin queen?
There's the waste of time if she doesn't get mated, she's easier to find when she does start laying, some increased risk of rejection before mating, potentially getting paint on the wings and affecting her flight, she's more visible to predators when she does fly, ... need any more reasons?

Today 7th June, I had a quick peep to see if there was any brood. I had expected both queens to be mated, and laying by now because of the wonderful weather. There is no brood at all. I have not spotted either queen, but I realise that virgin queens can be small and difficult to spot. The bees are calm, and seem purposeful.....am I just being too impatient ? I would have thought that our current conditions have been perfect for them.

J

Are there polished cells?

I understand it can indicate that the bees are expecting a laying queen soon.

Give her another week and you may have a hive filling up with eggs and brood.

Your bees been calm is a good thing and also mentioned the cells all nice and polished is a good sign all is well.

I always like to see plenty of pollen entering the hive, others disagree but to me a big thumbs up.

Good luck

How close did you look ?
Most of my expectant virgins from mid May have only just started laying eggs, should be at the sealed brood stage by the end of next week, but currently hard to spot without a specific look for eggs.

I retrieved a swarm from near my apiary. In an effort to find the guilty hive, I inspected my prolific hive and found queen cells.

If these two facts are directly related you did not carry out an A/S!

Don't know about your weather but until this last week the weather has not been conducive to good queen mating in my neck of the woods. Twenty is more like the minimum needed.

So, yes, you are too impatient.

Added: Is that swarm collected recently a prime or a cast? Normally, a prime would have a laying queen.

Last edited:
RAB The first swarm I retrieved was a cast. I obviously missed the first swarm.

I don't understand why you say that I didn't do an 'AS'. Are you saying that I didn't do an 'AS' because bees had already swarmed from that hive?

J

If that was the case (bees had already swarmed from that hive) there was nothing to A/S, as the queen had clearly already departed.

Latest posts

Back