am i about to receive a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderbird

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i set my new hive up in the garden yesterday i will be moving it to an out apiary when i take delivery of my nuc soon hopefully,but to my suprise there was some activity yesterday with bees going in and out and today the numbers have increased to probably a hundered or so there also seems to be some fighting at the entrance with a few dead bees on the floor are these scouts looking for a suitable home?

From your description with bees checking out the hive a few at first then increasing in numbers yes it sounds like scout bees. But when you describe what looks like fighting and dead bees sounds odd.

Whats in the hive foundation or old comb?

brood foundation only, no drawn comb.i sat watching them for a while some bees were guarding the entrance alowing some past yet others were being attacked.

In that case it sounds as though its occupied best take a look

i did take a look this evening there are some bees inside but not a large amount, will see what happens tommorow will keep you posted,thanks for your relies

Perhaps a small cast swarm? Got a very small one last year total amount of bees about a cup of tea

Latest posts

Back