Aggression?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got a lot of aggression during inspections yesterday. I'm not sure what problem was, weather seemed good suit was clean. I wondered if it was the cardboard or if the hay I was burning had been treated with something. I've got some fresh hay so that eliminates that possibility. It could be genetics as I breed from my local mongels but never had a problem in Keighley, but a lot of beeks around me use buckfast. Would an upset colony affect the whole apiary? Also does distance between other colony's make a difference, they are currently 3 ft apart? I intend going back in a few days when things have calmed down. I will start inspections at 1 end of the apiary until I get a bad response and then stop. A few days later I will start inspections again snd miss the aggressor out. This method should help me find out any problem colony's and then re queen them. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mine are very much weather dependent. Went through them last week in glorious sunshine and no smoke needed, thousands of bees flying in and out and not one took any notice of me. A couple of weeks previously and most were out to get me.
I wonder if their temperament improves after a couple of days of warm weather.

I got a lot of aggression during inspections yesterday.
Thundery weather round here. Impending rain and electrical storms have a reputation for disturbing even some of the calmest colonies.

Yes mine were the bees from hell again today, I put it down to the fact its quite cold and windy which has been our summer so far.

all mine are uptight as the flow has stopped in my area of london, lots of bees and nothing to do, lime finished, blackberry finished, rosebay willow on last flowers, kids picking blackberries in the allotment

Mine might improve if they find Balsam but there is no real prospect of more honey unless they do , so i have just put the first of my rhombus clearer boards on and will start extracting tomorrow, so mine will really be uptight by mid week and (a few years ago they chased the Landroverr 100 yds from the apiary )

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Balsam, blackberries, rosebay willow herb, poppies, phacelia, clover, cow parsley.and lots more

Bees busy busy busy...

I got a lot of aggression during inspections yesterday. I'm not sure what problem was, weather seemed good suit was clean. I wondered if it was the cardboard or if the hay I was burning had been treated with something. I've got some fresh hay so that eliminates that possibility. It could be genetics as I breed from my local mongels but never had a problem in Keighley, but a lot of beeks around me use buckfast. Would an upset colony affect the whole apiary? Also does distance between other colony's make a difference, they are currently 3 ft apart? I intend going back in a few days when things have calmed down. I will start inspections at 1 end of the apiary until I get a bad response and then stop. A few days later I will start inspections again snd miss the aggressor out. This method should help me find out any problem colony's and then re queen them. Any input would be appreciated.

For what it's worth mine were fine yesterday and I'm not too far from you. However on my second to last hive I got a sting in my nitryl gloves. Bees became quite defensive....aggressive. Replaced gloves and all was well again. They do react to these pheromones. Still doesn't explain the aggression in one local hive I have at my out apiary near Helmsley.

I have inspected this colony with no problem's since they arrived several week's ago.. Col

They had been calm up until last week.. maybe the odd one trying to attack but horses for coarses.. take the rough with the smooth so to speak..

7 day's ago however they went like a turbo charged chainsaw at me noise included and smoke made them worse.. i did what i had too and bolted..

luckily im around 70 yrd's from the cottage because they followed me around 30yrd's from the hive before they give in..

It's got too be this weird weather .. ? .

As most have already said I find that a colony can be quite defensive dependant on weather and nectar flow!

Certainly when the weather conditions are really good I find that most of my colonies don't react much to being inspected.

I do have 1-2 colonies that are always more defensive than the rest regardless of weather and this I put down to genetics but I keep them as they gather a lot of honey and I think we shouldn't necessarily make the gene pool too shallow.

Having said all the above my bees live in field margins so the only person they affect are me when I'm in the apiary.

Started inspections at the opposite end of the apiary today, managed to get all inspected but left the nucs alone as queens won't be laying in those yet. Some were better behaved than others but the last colony was all over my veil bouncing off, following etc. There are 4 frames of brood but couldn't find the queen as the frames were covered. Next visit I'll move the hive to reduce numbers.

Latest posts

Back