Advice please on how long one can seal a hive for

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivor Kemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I help look after one bee hive that a school has on its roof in front of some windows from where the pupils can observe it in safety. It is perfectly placed and has been there for a number of years.

Access to the hive is via a ladder.

Unfortunately, the school need some glazing work done on the windows in July and asked me about moving the hive.

I have already tried persuading them to leave it until winter but the work has to be done in July.

It is a very strong colony with two supers.

At present I don't know how long the glazing work will take but wondered if sealing the hive for a 24/48 period was a viable option. It would certainly cause less disruption than getting a very heavy hive off the roof and to a new location.

All advice gratefully received.

24hrs is doable, 48 might be pushing it a bit, others may say different, why not try moving it's position, 3ft every couple of days, or turn it around so opening faces away, again, a little bit every few days?

Thanks dexters shed but the problem of moving it is in my original thread.

Schools always do things like windows in the summer holidays, they are more than likely going to want access for more than 48hrs as they will probably going to be replacing the frames and glass to the whole building. This will take the full 6 weeks of the holidays.

My suggestion would be to clear the supers and take them away a couple of days before the term end, pupils can watch and even help with the extraction. then seal and move the hive as normal remembering the 3mile rule, then just bring back at the end of August when the works are done. To me that would be the best solution for every one and if you put it with your other hives it can be inspected at the same time as them.

Seal it up every night after dark. Spray the OMF frequently during the day with water, supply shade, open when workmen have gone home and repeat daily. Did this when trees being felled, worked a treat.
Or.... Seal it and spray whole hive from above with water to keep it cool and make the bees think it is raining!
E

Thanks all, especially dpearce4.

I think this is what we will do in the circumstances as it does appear that the glazing will take longer than I anticipated.

Great idea about pupils helping with the extraction especially as we can now delay it until August now.

Latest posts

Back