Advice please - father of the bride speech.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Struggling a bit here, daughter and future son in law are back after three years in Australia. The wedding is in two weeks and they will be heading back to Australia for good in June. I've been finding it hard to put anything together because there is the inevitable tinge of sadness.

Struggling a bit here, daughter and future son in law are back after three years in Australia. The wedding is in two weeks and they will be heading back to Australia for good in June. I've been finding it hard to put anything together because there is the inevitable tinge of sadness.

Hmm... That's a tough one, hard because you lack humour given the sadness of the situation, understandable I suppose, especially if you are looking to add some humour. Anyway, I was a best man last year (at my age!?), which isn't the same as as The Brides Father's speech granted, but it was fairly witty and if you are interested in taking a look I'll copy and paste it into a PM for you!

You could add a sneaky bit in like ".....gaining a wonderful son who promised he would spend their summer holidays with us every year and Christmas he will pay for us to fly over there" :cool:

Work out how long you want the speech to last. Write it down. For speeches estimate 100 words per minute. In that way you will avoid the rambling, say-nothing speeches.

Write a speech of the right length (no matter how rubbish) and edit it later. In the editing you will bring it from not good to good. The worst thing you can do is keep writing the first sentence and editing for perfection. You will never finish it.

Remember, leave them wanting more (not less) :)

It is their day - be brave and do not mention the sadness more than once.

Latest posts

Back