Advice on colony increase in late August/Sept

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My apiary is currently down to one queenright hive, which has only had a laying queen for about 3 weeks.
I also have a hive which is hopelessly queeenless and has laying workers. From what I've read, this is a lost cause.
Conscious that I have 'all my eggs in one basket', I'd like to get a second viable hive going.

I'm wondering whether it makes sense to try and create a nuc from the existing queenright hive at this time of year (and add a purchased queen), or am I better waiting until spring to create a nuc or do a split?

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions..

If I were you, I would bin-off that idea; at this time of year I think the focus should have already switched to ensuring any colonies are going into autumn in optimum condition (colony strength, bee health, stores).

Splitting your only queenright colony (which, given it has only been brooding for three weeks, will be 'imbalanced') seems foolhardy.

All things being equal, your young queen will overwinter OK, so I'd be piling all my efforts into getting that colony in tip-top shape. I'd be shaking out the laying workers ASAP - some of whom will migrate to your queenright hive, then administering efficacious prophylactic varroa treatment, feeding up with thymolated syrup etc...

Better to have one hive overwinter OK, than two dead-outs.

Just my own thoughts, anyway.

Conscious that I have 'all my eggs in one basket', I'd like to get a second viable hive going.
I'm afraid this obsession/mantra laid down by the 'wise ones' in beekeeping (AKA the usual suspects) about it being essential (not even desirable) to go into winter with more than one hive is probably the ruin of more beekeepers than help
I'm wondering whether it makes sense to try and create a nuc from the existing queenright hive at this time of year
in a word, no, far better to concentrate on building up this young colony than split it/ ruin it and struggle to take two mediocre colonies through the winter.

I also have a hive which is hopelessly queeenless and has laying workers. From what I've read, this is a lost cause.
As has already been said - shake them out in front of the other hive, at least they will serve some purpose by boosting up your young, weak colony

This doesn't really help you with the current situation, but is something to look at for further seasons.
When I find a DL colony I remove to about twenty feet from original position, then put a Q+ nuc in its place, throw out the old colony after a quick blast of air freshener and usually when the flying bees return to the original position there's no issues with joining the nuc.
Works great this time of year to expand smaller nucs quickly, especially when I've thrown a load of mating nucs together.

As others have said, best not split weak colonies this time of year.
Another option, quite a good one I think, it used to be quite common practice, is to buy a nuc to go into winter with.
Most nuc suppliers are glad to give a good discount at this time of year, and with some careful husbandry over the next month or so a good nuc will build into a strong overwintering hive.

Latest posts

Back