Advice needed for wasps and for this time of year.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunk000

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone before I start I'm New to the forum so apologies if this subject has been repeated but I have tried to use search bar but no joy. Basically as the title states lots of wasps around my hives, I have only been beekeeping for a few months and I have been getting mentored by my friend but thought I would do some research to see what I could do to help with this problem. I am currently using the half bottle technique with jam in the bottom so I'm just wondering is there anything else I can do.

I live in Shropshire and weather has been on and off raining so I'm wondering is it time for me to start feeding the bees syrup or will they be doing fine.i have checked the hives and they have plenty of stores but as i have only just started I get a bit worried. That I should be doing more.
Any advice is great fully received , thank you

I'm new into this big journey too and lager instead of jam and a tea towel keep's the number's down.. wasp's are still gaining access to my hive but they don't seem to be causing much problem's at the moment as i'm killing load's.. i will not hold my breath though..

Last edited:
I've been squishing a few when i have been at the hives but can't be there all the time as there in a friends field so trying to do as much as I can to keep the wasps at bay. How many hives have you got and are you feeding syrup yet?

There is masses on here re wasps but you could do worse than check out www.waspbane.com and click on the beekeeping link.
The author, karol, posts here.
The link contains an Aladdin's cave of information about protecting your hives and importantly understanding wasp behaviour.

Meanwhile....the best defence against wasps is a strong colony and an entrance reduced to 2 bee spaces.......don't worry about congestion. The bees will queue.
Some folk here have underfloor entrances (search for that) that are very good at preventing wasp incursion.

Regarding feeding; if your colonies have adequate stores then there is no nee. You do not want to fill brood combs with stores just yet. Your queens still need to make those winter bees.

You do not want to fill brood combs with stores just yet. Your queens still need to make those winter bees.

That piece of advice should be tattooed on the forehead of every beekeeper;s better half. (You can't read it every day if it's on your own!)

Ok so they should be ok food wise at the moment then. What happens when it's raining will they be ok? I'm just worried because i haven't been doing it that long I want my bees to stay healthy and survive. My friend is really good he has over 200 hives but he also teaches others so it's when I get to see him for more advice.

I agree with Erichalfbee. Look at the waspbane site.

I am convinced that the normal half bottle traps and jam jars etc are totally and literally counterproductive. They don't kill all the scouts - those that get away bring their kith and kin directly to the source of free food in the trap and the immediate area. So a full traditional wasp trap is a sign not of success but of failure.

Look at the alternative stratagem.

Dusty

Back