Advice needed for Drone laying hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
Hi,
I have checked my AS hive (old queen and flying bees) and there are mainly drones and the frames are dotted with drone cells.
I am going to put in a test frame can I just check I have this right.
I shake the bees off a frame from other hive, a frame with eggs in
I then place it in the centre of the other hive...... Job done?
I would check after a week to see progress and then leave for the queen to hatch, mate and start laying.
This is my simplified version.......
Am I missing any points and can anyone offer any advice on how exactly or actually to do this?
Should I try to find who is laying these drones? Is it more likely to be an unmated queen or a Drone laying worker?
Many thanks
Clare

No point putting in a test frame if they have a queen,do they also have normal brood?

If the old queen is still there and starting to fire blanks there will be drones in ordinary worker cells dotted about the worker brood. And there should still be eggs. If so, no test frame and likely they will supercede her.

If the queen is not there....sealed brood, no eggs, then run a test frame.

We don't know how often you have checked the hive, when you did the AS or if there are eggs present. And is there worker sealed brood?

There is no other sealed brood, only drone sealed cells dotted about no eggs visible.
They have not expanded beyond the 2 frames that i put in when AS was done. (one brood + queen and one stores)
there is no worker brood. There are workers going in and out but they are outnumbered by drones on the frames

Last edited:
Assuming a queen is responsible for the brood and not laying workers, there is no real point in a test frame - the workers will (probably) not be 'clever' enough to raise a new queen on the test frame.

Decide whether laying workers or drone laying queen. If a DLQ, find and kill.

Latest posts

Back