advice and guidance want/needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEE WANBEE

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all :) I am really interested in getting my own bee hive. I dont have a massive amount of land and I am not bothered about getting honey I just love bugs and looking after my land and from what i can tell a bee hive would be great for both.

I am only looking at having a small bee have and have seen some very small set ups but i am worried that they are to small to survive long term?

If anyone can offer advice on the best kind of set up etc and the place place to get bees/hives, I have found some good second hand hives on preloved but just worrie about getting the wrong sized hive.

All advice very welcome, thanks Ian

1/ One bee colony tends not to work. Better to think in terms of 'beekeeping operation', which means two or three colonies.

2/ Used equipment can be contaminated with bee diseases from hell, so either don't buy used kit or look at methods of cleaning it up.

sounds like top bar hives would be the way to go for you
not so much about honey but more to do with bees
they can be made from scrap timer, I made two from scrap totalled £15 in other bits a pieces
if you made it now, you could join a club, get yourself on their swarm list and possible get a swarm for free
p.m me and I'll send you a link to another site on top bars

homemade top bar hive
http://youtu.be/XB6p9dISupM

transferring a cast swarm into the top bar
http://youtu.be/iz2UDxwydQg

When I first started I thought I would like 'a few bees' too. It unfortunately doesn't work like that. A hive can give you 60000 bees so please do some research and meet a beekeeper first! Go with them to see their bees, get hands on before you make any decisions! Once tasted 'real' honey you will want a bit. Get hooked and enjoy it!
E

1/ One bee colony tends not to work. Better to think in terms of 'beekeeping operation', which means two or three colonies.

2/ Used equipment can be contaminated with bee diseases from hell, so either don't buy used kit or look at methods of cleaning it up.

:yeahthat:
And :welcome: to the forum

...and definately pop along to your local beekeeping association...get a feel for what's involved before committing yourself (as well as avoiding some easily made errors or mistakes early on). Good luck

Hi....no such thing as a small colony of bees. When they fill whatever (small) space you give them they will swarm taking their queen with them...plus mites and diseases if you do not have the input or experience to have dealt with them beforehand. This does not make for responsible beekeeping or happy neighbours.

There are hives for sale which pretend to house full colonies - and don't. One was recently made to change their adverts by the Advertising authority...but ad is still a bit dodgy. A National sized hive is a very minimum the "smaller" British colony will live in - around 50000 bees.

If this is not what you have in mind then bee "hotels" and bumble bee accommodation around the place and planting appropriate plants will give you lots to do to help pollinators.

thanks all

Hello :thanks: for all your advice and help, i have already contacted my local bee association a week ago and requested to go on one of there beginner courses, i just want to get as much information as possible before taking on a hive of bees and then finding out i know nothing about what i am doing, want to do this the right way and not the rushed way!

again many thanks and help/advice is more than welcome :) have a good new year everyone :)

Back