Adding Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redroof

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi I am a new bee keeper, and looking for advice I have one super on my Hive put on 11 days ago, every frame in the super is full and just starting to be caped on 3 frames. Do I have to wait until every frame is caped before I add another super or can I add one now, "IE" before they are all caped ? Looking forward to your answers. Jenny

Add one ASAP.

The general advice is to add another super, when the current one is "full of bees". They need the space and if you delay they wonder if the place they live in is large enough.........

There is a difference of opinion about where to put the new super.
Most experienced beeks seem to put the new one above the QE and below the full super.

As a newbie, I found adding it to the top, was a way of meeting my anxiety about how it was all going - particularly if you have a see through crown board. Now in my second season, I'm wavering!

Great having some harvest in the offing, isn't it?

Dusty

You seem to have posted under 2 different user names jenny

Last edited:
The bees need a lot more room to process nectar than they do to store honey, so always try to provide enough space for this.

Back