active bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmandy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Dispite being a very dull miserable day bees are very active, hundreds of comeing and goings, hive must ne doing Well at moment, seen to he more active now than in august, proberly due to ivy being in flower, also butternut squase still flowering Well in my poly tunnel. Shld i feed them while they are so active foreging ?

My bees are very active at the moment also, pollen loads going in galore.
Both my colony's very busy.
I have my feeding over , with my strong colony, they stopped and wouldn't take any more, a few weeks back.
My other colony are in a poly nuc, and still feeding ,but they have slowed right down on taking it, so id say they will be done with it this week.
I like getting my feeding over before a cold snap, gives the bees sufficient time to evaporate any excess water.
I would suggest that you check their store situation first.
If they are low, then feed.
Everyone is different, some feed, some wait, some don't feed at all, if the bees have enough of their own stores.
Check first I would think.

Lift the back of the hive carefully. If it is VERY heavy then feeding may not be necessary. If there is any doubt feed now as when the cold weather hits evaporating the water is going to be difficult for them. This is perfect feeding weather.... But tomorrow?
E

Lift the back of the hive carefully. If it is VERY heavy then feeding may not be necessary. If there is any doubt feed now as when the cold weather hits evaporating the water is going to be difficult for them. This is perfect feeding weather.... But tomorrow?
E

:iagree: Started feeding last Friday - bees are taking it at a rate of knots along with masses of ivy pollen and nectar from the heaps of the stuff within 30 yds of the hives. Just hoping the whole lot doesn't crystallise.

Latest posts

Back