Acrylic crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that has puzzled me about the new Pay*nes poly hives I've just bought is what to do about the plastic sheet crownboard supplied with them. I've installed the frame runners also supplied in order to work the hives bottom bee space. The problem this creates is that there's now less than a bee space between the tops of the frames and the underside of the plastic crownboard. If I make a frame for the crownboard the roof won't sit fully down in its rebate.

Any suggestions?

Gerry

As designed - there is no need for a crown board, and the plastic sheet is to a) allow you to view the bees at home, and b) stop them from glueing the lid on

As per MA. If this is a flimsy sheet of plastic, that is really all it is there for - to prevent the roof being stuck on firmly. A rigid sheet would simply be stuck to all the frames and, yes, to impart a bee space would mean the hive lid would seat less by the thickness of the crownboard lip. So I would never refer to that thin flexible sheet as a crownboard.

RAB

Pay*nes poly hives I've just bought.I've installed the frame runners also supplied in order to work the hives bottom bee space. .

Gerry

Errrrm, as an aside. If you don't install the runners does the hive have top bee space, then?
Just curious as I've never examined a ****** hive ( I do have a couple of their nuc hives)

Heard the one about the beek who re-used perspex machine guards to make crown boards ? When he polished them to to look in the hive, the static made the bees spread-eagle on the underside.

Yep - top bee space if the frame runners are left off. Not really an option for me as the rest of my (mainly wooden) kit is bottom bee space.

Good to know that the flexible sheet isn't especially designed to function as a crownboard and that I won't need to put a frame on it.

Gerry

I've read somewhere, don't recall where, that propolis will come off easily if the acrylic is put in the freezer, and wax will wash off with warm solution of washing soda.

Thanks for that, will give it a try once I take off to clean in the spring cleaning spree

. . . If you don't install the runners does the hive have top bee space, then?

I guess it would, but then you have the irregular rebate at the bottom of the box, compromising the bee space there. What's possibly more important is the fact that the bees will glue down the frame lugs and you will live to regret the way you made the change.

If you must change to top bee space, use a router (£36 - £40 from Screwfix) and take out the extra bee space on the top rails and put a fillet in the bottom rebate too, then use runners as normal. If you don't use runners, be prepared to use vaseline to stop the lugs being totally glued down.

Thanks Hombre, that's just the info I needed.
I'll continue to use two MB supers as the floor is deep enough.
I just wish they'd get on with the promised 14x12 but I suspect they won't.

I costed 6mm polycarbonate at about 13 UK pounds per hive

Latest posts

Back