Abelo queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammerbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm in my first year of beekeeping and starting to think about swarm prevention - I have a couple of Abelo poly hives (one empty ready for spring) - but the hives didn't come with queen excluders - I have a feeling I'm might need one if I'm going to add a supa - any advice please?

What bees have you (strain) as you might need double brood. How many supers have you?

my hive is in west Essex so I suppose the ordinary apis mellifera - they were passed on to me by my association - I just have the one hive populated at the moment - no supers as yet - I just watched a video where the guy simply put four brood frames in a new hive (with some capped queen cells) with empty frames - but that looked way too easy

I just watched a video where the guy simply put four brood frames in a new hive (with some capped queen cells) with empty frames - but that looked way too easy

A walk away split.
It works
In the summer I like to make a nuc up with a frame of food, a frame of emerging brood and the rest empty drawn frames but I put in a mated queen rather than a queen cell.
As for excluders....just buy some framed wire ones

I just watched a video where the guy simply put four brood frames in a new hive (with some capped queen cells) with empty frames - but that looked way too easy

If they are swarm cells, you get the best swarmers in the world from those nucs.

I do partly same way. I take first generation larvae from newly bought queen. Then I change the the larvae of swarming cells. So theh are selected queens then.

But if you do not have where from to select , it is not breeding. Best choice is then to buy a laying queen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back