A question about queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard_walker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

A friend of mine has a problem that I wondered if any of you might now a bit about, he has 6 hives, in 5 of them the queen has stopped laying! He says they all seem quite happy and are behaving in a way that suggests that they could be queen less, and he did say that the queen will have a rest from laying from time to time, but 5 at once? He also said the 6th hive that is still laying is a small swarm and are still building up, I have offered to let him have some brood frames from some my hive in order to re-queen but I some of you had either heard of this problem through your bee keeping, bee club or books etc, any help would be greatly received. Thanks

Richard Walker

What are the store levels in the hive like pollen and honey?

Just one more Nosema Ceranae may be worth testing?

Queens can go off laying with long periods bad weather causing a lack of stores, bees need honey for energy and pollen for raising brood, tell your friend to check levels and feed if necessarily

What are the store levels in the hive like pollen and honey?

Just one more Nosema Ceranae may be worth testing?

I agree with Tom.

I've seen queens stop laying but only the odd one. N. Ceranae was suspected but not tested for at the time.

Latest posts

Back